ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Surprise baby not covered!

Well it's been a few years since I've been on here! My husband and I gave up on our 3rd child about a year ago after unsuccessful fertility treatment and a couple of miscarriages. So we organised our life to be a family of four - that is.... the type of house, the type of car etc and the reason for my post.... the type of private health insurance.

I recently changed providers and didn't worry about getting cover for pregnancy etc and then wouldn't you know - I fall pregnant!

Yay! (i think!) but what does this mean!? In terms of health services, does it mean i HAVE TO have my baby in a public hospital? Are there ways around this (apart from paying full price for a private hospital). I live on the Sunshine Coast and have not heard good things from the public hospitals up here. I may have to go to Brisbane.

Do health insurance providers have any flexibility with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure that if you want to go private, you'll have to pay full price for the private hospital's services. Health insurers are pretty strict on waiting periods unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's no harm in calling up your insurer and asking but they're usually pretty inflexible on waiting periods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends how long you've been without cover. Sometimes if its within a time frame they let waiting periods slide. Also ring up a few different providers you never know you might get some more luck your way xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How recently did you change? Some allow a period of time to lapse between covers and will let you pick up without waiting periods.

nib was the one I found that allowed the longest time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the lapsed time wasnt too long maybe your provider will let uou pay to make up the difference in premiums and then will cover you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    you are going to have to pay full price if you want to go private the same thing happened to my sister in law.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkj View Post
    If the lapsed time wasnt too long maybe your provider will let uou pay to make up the difference in premiums and then will cover you?

it doesnt work like that unfortunately. she will have to pay full price for private or just go public. OP the hospitals that are in brisbane have catchment areas unfortunately so you will have to go to your nearest hospital. otherwise you would have to provide proof that you live in the catchment area via documents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just in regards to public hospital, I had both my boys at Nambour Hospital. The staff there were great.

You truly sound like you want to go private and I hope that something can be worked out so you can but if not just wanted to say not everyone has a bad experience with public on the Sunshine Coast

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    it doesnt work like that unfortunately. she will have to pay full price for private or just go public. OP the hospitals that are in brisbane have catchment areas unfortunately so you will have to go to your nearest hospital. otherwise you would have to provide proof that you live in the catchment area via documents.
    This is right, insurance is something you have as a precaution not after the fact.... It's just like having a car accident then expecting an insurer to pay out.... Doesn't happen tht way