+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! I've decided on a cvs myself and am having mine on Thursday. Baroness, you're right. And I've come to the conclusion that if it happens, it wasn't meant to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bellbell,

It just felt like a blood test, the needle is so thin. You cant feel them drawing the liquid. I had a small cramp when the needle went in but nothing major. Afterwards I lay down, felt fine. It really is not as scary as it all sounds

I scolded myself for googling too much! lol!

You will be fine

(I did ask for a smiley face band aid, but they only had plain, LOL)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sophie11 For This Useful Post:

bellbell690  (18-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just went through this, I had my first amnio about 2 weeks ago, and any fear you may be feeling is normal. I agree, I googled way too much. The procedure for me... Was not that fun to be honest. We had a 1 in 76 chance of trisomy 21, Down syndrome. They will first check baby over through ultrasound, to find a spot where it's safe to put the needle, and then they will do the procedure. Me not being a fan of needles, didn't like this part because it seemed to go on forever, but it's really goes for max of about a minute.

Everyone's experience afterwards is different. I had intense cramping so much so that I couldn't stand for probably 3 minutes. I had no fluid leaking but I did monitor my temperature with a thermometer for about a week (for signs of infection).
    The site where I had it done stung for a couple of days, but otherwise I had no problems.

We needed fast results so the doctors bulk billed me a FISH test. I didn't know they were doing this on the day and I'm fairly sure you can ask for this yourself but it may cost some couple of hundred dollars.

My test results came back on the Monday after (I had it done on a Thursday) and everything was in the all clear, I'm expecting a healthy baby boy on September 7. We even found out he's a little superman, he has an extra Y chromosome that will make no difference to him except he will be taller than average.

All in all, to be honest, I hated the whole thing. I spent most of the time scared and worried, but I think just relaxing for the next couple of days after will do you a world of good. And again, this is just my experience, everyone is different as to how they do the procedure and the outcome.

I really wish you luck and make sure you keep us posted as to what happens xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    FISH cost my IP's $140 so not too bad in the scheme of things if you need results fast

Wow this is interesting, pretty cool! : "he has an extra Y chromosome that will make no difference to him except he will be taller than average."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sophie11, all done and as you said was not as bad as i thought.
    Just a bit of pain when doing the test.
    Our FISH results will be back friday arvo and at a cost of $170 or we have to wait 2 weeks, thats just to long.
    MissH mine is a 1: 36 chance of ds so we have everythig crossed. I love hearing storys like yours with a great out come.
    Good luck with everything ladies, will keep you posted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou to all that have helped me through this. We got our FISH results late friday arvo.
    We are having a little Girl and we got the all clear, now to enjoy the next 23 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bellbell690 View Post
    Thankyou to all that have helped me through this. We got our FISH results late friday arvo.
    We are having a little Girl and we got the all clear, now to enjoy the next 23 weeks.
    YAY! So happy for you congrats!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissH For This Useful Post:

bellbell690  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    great news xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zooey For This Useful Post:

bellbell690  (22-04-2013)