+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone! Well we are on our next leg now and feeling much more positive about things, especially as we are now with family and friends who are oozing reassurance! The place we went to in KL was called prince Court medical centre and i can highly recomend it. i saw 2 different OB's and the scan for second opinion. He was not concerned in the slightest and basically said that everyone has a chance of DS baby, but some have higher chances than others. Also that (politely) I am too "generously sized" to get a proper picture of baby due to my "thick skin"! (We had to laugh at this) I am also only just 19 weeks so still very early too. He checked ALL other vitals, measurements, organs and soft markings and all is perfectly normal - weight and size included. He told me to have another scan in the UK as baby will be bigger and so picture should be easier. He said also that the nasal bone is not a "strong marker" anyway but they have to tell patents what they find or do not find in a scan. He was so much more professional and efficient and put our minds at ease. Basically the summary was not to be concerned due to several factors: I have too much blubber, baby is moving too much/not favour able positioning, not even at the 20 week stage yet, everything else - now and at 12 week scan - us normal.....so we are happy for now however I am overwhelmed by this forum and fully intend to share the continuing journey with you all. I have felt very comforted by the support, advice, concern and kindness.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucyfe2013 For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (01-04-2013),Lovemyfam  (01-04-2013),Phony  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    that is wonderful news!

I am so glad you got in to see someone in KL...having that news and not having someone decent to talk to or to get a 2nd opinion would have been so stressful.

Glad to hear you will be hanging around the hub

Have a great time in the UK, i cannot wait to go back again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such great news, I'm so glad you're feeling better and hope you have a wonderful holiday now!. I look forward to following the rest of your journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great. I hope you have an awesome time in the UK

Thanks
    Reviews
    Soooo glad to hear! Yay enjoy your trip x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again! Just thought I'd let you know that I am booked in for a 3D scan and am going to have the cell-free Foetal blood test at the Fetal Medicine Clinic in Harley Street, London on 16APR. I don't think there could be a better place to go so am hoping all goes well on the 16th and we can enjoy the remaining 4 months!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like it's all working out.

I just thought I'd add apparently there are very few technicians in Australia who have the correct qualifications to judged DS based on nasal bone. My OB here in Perth thought the number was as low as 3 Australia wide. It's something they all look at but there is actual training in the area and certification they are supposed to go through before they are permitted to give an accurate and reliable assessment based on nasal bone ultrasound results.

Anyway just thought I'd pass that on as it's further evidence this is an extremely technical area where sometime unqualified opinions are given xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Des1102  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that Sonja....very interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Everyone...feel awful that I failed to post an update on our saga earlier, but I'm sure you will be pleased to know that all is OK with baby. We did go to a fantastic medical centre in Kuala Lumpur called Prince Court Medical Centre - saw 2 different OB's there and they were not really bothered/concerned by anything (Cost: 290MYR = 100AUD): . Obviously they went into details and specifics but the general consensus was that we shouldn't be too concerned and there was nothing we could do until we got back to Melbourne. Then we spent 2 "kind of" anxious weeks in a more remote location where no medical appts were possible...and then finally ended up in London. First I had to se my old GP to check my bllod pressure, etc who was very perplexed by the entire saga. Then I managed to get an appointment at a fantastic research facility called the Fetal Medicine Centre in Harley Street (http://www.fetalmedicine.com) where I was booked in to have a scan with an OB and also have the "Harmony Test" (Cost: 400GBP = 670AUD). We arranged this appointment in advance by phone and email and they were wonderful...listened carefully to the background and were sympathetic and very accommodating. This female OB was quite shocked by my story and remarked that in the UK I was considered normal and healthy age to be pregnant (34yo) and so the risk factor for DS was absurd to her anyway. At this point of course I state that I am obviously aware that different countries have different health and medical procedures and processes due to varying demographics, etc. Anyway, she remained very professional at all times and was careful not to talk badly of the hospital or medical professionals in Melbourne, but she was very disappointed by what had happened. By this stage, the nasal bone was only lightly calcified. She explained (as all others had) that they like to see it strong and clear but there are a multitude of reasons as to why this may not necessarily be the case. She explained what and how many "hard markers" there were for DS and the same for the "soft" markers. She checked for ALL and as nothing else was present, and also taking into consideration my 12 weeks results her comment was "if you were my patient I would not take this any further". But as we had gone through a lot, and considerable effort to get this appt too, she still did the Harmony Test (blood test) and off I went with my mother in law feeling much better...but still looking forward to the results (a 2 week wait!). Our daughter was born in London under NHS and we had a fantastic experience, so I was very happy to be back in the UK having these appointments and checks. Those next 2 weeks I was actually in the USA for work and true to their word, the clinic emailed me first to say they had my results and to call the clinic (they would not put results - good or bad - on email). And needless to say the news was good. My risk factor plummeted to 1 in 10000 and there was/is no extra chromosomes present. I have a small button nose and so does our daughter, so baby will naturally have the same nose. When we did eventually get back to Melbourne in early May we immediately made an apt to see the relevant people at the hospital. A very frank and emotional 2 hour discussion took place, and I had to write up a "report" which took forever because I kept getting upset. We received many apologies by varying people/departments and the "official" acknowledgement was gross miscommunication and patient mismanagement. Now of course some friends/family have told us to take it further but we have a good outcome, I know the hospital is a good hospital and we really did just "luck out" in a spectacular fashion. But we decided to try and concentrate on the good and put the bad behind us. Having said that, we are now most definitely extremely knowledgeable on this subject, and the Harmony Test and well versed on the differences in maternity care and protocol across 4 different countries! I am Australian, husband is English...that's why daughter was born in the UK as we were living there at the time. I know I have a tendency to harp on, but it was all quite awful and so if there is ever anyone out there who finds themselves in a similar situation I can only hope my posts might help with information. Likewise with the vast differences between NHS in the UK and public VS private in Melbourne. So I am now seeing Dr Rasmussen based on recommendations (as a public patient) and am happy we are in his expert care. C-section booked for 12AUG. The countdown is very much on....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Dr Rasmussen is fantastic. You're in expert hands. Good luck x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Lucyfe2013  (30-07-2013)