SO glad you are getting another scan done.
What an absolute stupid hospital to be suggesting terminating after 1 scan!! And, if they say the bubs was in a poor position and had to keep moving...there is every chance the bubs is just fine.
Def get another scan in the UK too...we have reciprocal healthcare there so even if you present to emergency and say you are concerned they should scan you.
hang in there
+ Reply to Thread
Results 11 to 20 of 34
30-03-2013 09:04 #11Senior Member
- Join Date
- Aug 2009
30-03-2013 10:43 #12
Hugs OP - I agree with previous posters, it's best to get another scan. Try not to worry and definitely get a second opinion if needed.
Scans are not always correct. My DS had a 'mildly echogenic bowel' in his 20wk scan. My Dr told me not to worry as the ultrasound equipment can be the cause, inexperienced sonographer, or the Dr writing the report 'thought' the images taken looked echogenic. Anyway, to cut a long story short there was absolutely nothing wrong with DS. Blood tests and another scan at 32 weeks showed there was no echogenic bowel.... All that worry for nothing.
30-03-2013 11:19 #13
OP I hope the new scan is normal. It's so stressful.
I just wanted to give you some info on the blood test you mentioned as I had it done. It's very new and the results take several weeks to come back - mine took nearly 3. I had it done at 13 weeks - my 12 week scan was fine but at my age I wanted to be sure. The test is actually sent to Hong Kong. Not many places in Australia will do it though as it's so new. You might find (depending on how the scan goes today) it's something you can do from KL. Yes it's great because it's non-invasive, but given how far along you are and how long the results take (and you can't get them back any faster the way you can with an amnio) you might find the wait just too long.
Good luck and I hope you don't need to worry any further after today xx.
30-03-2013 12:31 #14Junior Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2013
Thanks so much for that valuable information about the blood test. I am literally sitting in the waiting room about to go in. And yes, we are going public in Melbourne as we did not have obstetrics on our private health care policy (for obvious reasons). Cross your fingers and pray for us! Xx
30-03-2013 16:34 #15
Hope all is ok x let us know the results x
31-03-2013 16:39 #16
Hi Lucyfe2013....I hope everything went well with your scan!
31-03-2013 17:00 #17-
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Lucy, what hospital were you at in Melbourne? If you were at Royal Women's, Mercy, or Monash then you can't really get much better than their scans as they're tertiary hospitals and their sonographers are very experienced since they deal with obstetrics and the geneticists. We have been told for our next pregnancy to make sure our scans are at one of those three hospitals as we had everything go pear-shaped at 20 weeks for us when my NT was all low risk. NT only tests for trisomy 18 and DS and I now know that there are 1000's of syndromes out there, DS and T18 are just some of the most common that they are able to test for. Scary that they mentioned termination so soon but I think they have to let you know your options and wouldn't recommend it until you had further testing and scans to try to figure out what is going on. I would definitely try to get more scans and hopefully they're more reassuring. I think the risks of an amnio are quite low for how far along you are and there are also doctors in Melbourne you can find that have a 100% success rate with their testing (ie no losses). Fingers crossed for today!
Last edited by Kirst33; 31-03-2013 at 19:09.
31-03-2013 17:54 #18
RPA at newtown in Sydney also do the testing it's about 2000 and apparently you can not claim from Medicare, it gets sent to the USA. A girl I work with has done it. I've decided to wait to see my NT results before I consider to do it.
31-03-2013 21:45 #19Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2011
I would get a second opinion and try not to stress too much in the mean time. I also would have slapped them if they asked if we would consider terminating how rude is this typical in this country to jump to termination for DS? I never get the testing for it because it wouldnt be an option for me to terminate but seems a bit rude to jump straight to that.
31-03-2013 22:34 #20
I believe there have been several instances where families have sued cause they were mis informed of their options for termination until it was too late. Not saying that is right it's just what immediately came to mind when reading your story. They still should have given you much more info on other choices I.e amnio, second ultrasound.
Like others have said it sounds odd baby would have a nasal bone at 12 weeks but not at 18 weeks.
I hope the new scan gives you good news...
By miss00binks in forum Step-parents / Blended familiesReplies: 4Last Post: 17-07-2012, 13:40
Shapland Swim SchoolsSemi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
ConfusedConception & Fertility General Chat
Situations - ok or not ok?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Would you delay TTC because first child is starting first year of school.General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
What are our chances??pregnancy and babies through IVF
Miracle March TTC and Testing ChatConception & Fertility General Chat