+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet Training.... where do I begin?

So I haven't posted on here for a while but i need some advice. DS is just 2 and as he is my only child toilet training is all new to me. He sometimes tells me when he has a dirty nappy (not wet though). How do I start toilet training? How do I get him to understand to tell me before and not after? I don't have a potty, do I need one? I thought he might understand the toilet more as he comes in there with me sometimes. Do I just sit him on there? Please help its very daunting and confusing. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd start looking for little clues when he does something in his nappy. Also, just start asking him throughout the day if he'd like to go to the toilet, just gentle prompting. I bought my boys cute little undies and put them on during the day. They loved wearing them.

Personally I never used a potty, I thought it would just be easier to go straight to the toilet. We used a little seat insert that went under the toilet seat and a small step for our boys. I do know of people who have used a potty with success though so it really will be up to you and your ds which you prefer.

Good luck. Just remember some kids just seen to click with toilet training while others need more time. Your ds will get there as soon as he is ready

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didnt use a potty either and dont plan to this time around. Like PP said, look out for cues. I would take DS to the toilet roughly every half hour or so and make a big deal when he did even a dribble in there. He picked up weeing in the toilet really fast....pooing was another matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing to thank you for this thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also used the toilet insert, which worked quite well. I started off taking her every half hour or so, but after several months, she still didn't understand that she was supposed to tell me when she needed to go (but she could havebeen too young - she was only 12months when I started). At 18 months, I put her in undies instead of nappies and got her to tell me when she needed to go. It only took a couple of days and she's now completely trained for wees. However, similar to London's LO, poos seem to be a lot more difficult!

I did get the 3 day potty training ebook and found that incredibly helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I also used the toilet insert, which worked quite well. I started off taking her every half hour or so, but after several months, she still didn't understand that she was supposed to tell me when she needed to go (but she could havebeen too young - she was only 12months when I started). At 18 months, I put her in undies instead of nappies and got her to tell me when she needed to go. It only took a couple of days and she's now completely trained for wees.
    This. But we started with poos as they were easier around 14mths then wees around 16-17mths. TT by 18mths for days and 25mths ish nights.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We use a potty for miss 20mths. that way if I am busy with other children, cooking dinner etc, she can take herself to the potty. The way you can start is to get a 'lucky catch' which means they do a wee on the potty/toilet without meaning to, it's just where they happen to be sitting at the time. When they do a wee, praise them. We have a ritual that we do when DD does a wee; We do the the wee-wee dance while clapping hands and singing. Then we tip the wee in the toilet and she is allowed to have some toilet paper, attempt to wipe and she gets to flush the toilet which she loves! She then gets one smartie as a reward. This works well for us. If she wees somewhere other than the potty. I don't make a big deal of it and just say "wee goes in the potty' then quickly clean it up. Easy cause we don't have carpet
    Last edited by threechooks; 26-03-2013 at 13:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used a potty as it was more comfortable for me being able to sit on the floor lol. I just had my DD sit on the potty for a while until she did something and then went crazy with excitement afterwards. The best time I find is straight after they've woken up as they usually need to do something then. Either that or after an afternoon nap, after they've eaten/had a drink.