+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lila's Arrival by Elective C-Section

excerpt from my pregnancy diary:

So we were up at 5am on Thursday 14 March to head into hospital for our elective caesarean. Greeted warmly by everyone in the maternity ward, shown to our room and given our surgical gear to dress in. The midwives made husband eat some toast as he'd only had a muesli bar prior to coming in and they didn't want him fainting! It was torture for me to watch him eating it as I'd been fasting since midnight and was starving but also dying of thirst. Luckily, I was first in line and there wasn't much waiting around. A visit from the anaethesist and before you know it, I'm being wheeled down to theatre with husband right alongside.

Walked in and got up on the bed, had the cannula inserted into my hand (worst bit) then up for the spinal block. The local felt a bit horrible but it worked quickly. My blood pressure dropped and I felt a little queasy but I knew to possibly expect it and let them know and it was fixed instantly.

I was very cold/nerves and was shivering a lot so they had a blower in the top of the blankets blowing warm air on me which helped. I thought I could feel my legs were straight out with my feet touching, then saw them being hauled around which was a weird feeling!

There were lots of people talking to both husband and I, introducing themselves, telling us what was going to happen, taking photos for us and generally putting us at ease. I could feel a sensation of being rocked a bit and before I knew it, husband was standing up and looking, "It *is* a girl!" he said. They dropped the sheet and I could see her all slimy and bloody - "Oh my god, it's a real baby!"

She was taken over to be cleaned up, weighed and everything and husband went over with her, cut her cord and then she was bundled up and brought back to me and placed on my chest as they started to sew me up. They showed husband the fibroid ("looked like a liver") but didn't do anything with it.

We were then wheeled into recovery and husband carried her in, the midwife put her to the breast and we were there for about an hour before going back up to the room. The morphine made my face and top of my body itch but that was the only discomfort. The next few hours were a bit of a blur as obs were taken, people coming and going, phone calls, text messages and then later in the afternoon, visitors.

We were in hospital for five days and had a really good experience. Husband boarded and was so hands-on and proactive - he had to do everything on the first night when I was laid up and did really well. She had to go to the nursery on the first night as she was coughing up mucus and they were giving her top up feeds of formula but other than that, she was with us the whole time.

Lila Isobel was born at 7.56am on Thursday 14 March, weighing 2.56kg, measuring 46cm and is just the most adorable little girl in the world.
    Last edited by Averley; 20-06-2013 at 09:16. Reason: Wrong date! Baby brain

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Averley For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (19-06-2013),meljemillie  (24-03-2013),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (19-06-2013),Vivre  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    congrats on what sounds like a very relaxed and wonderful birth. Sorry no one else has replied, thats rather slack. Ps. March is an awesome month dh was born on your dds bday and my daughter was born on the 19th and they are both pretty cool congrats again xx
    Last edited by MonkeySeeMonkeyDo; 19-06-2013 at 00:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Next time I will be having an elective and it's wonderful to hear stories like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all. It was funny to re read my post as I sit here 3.5 months later, watching her play on her mat at double the size!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Averley For This Useful Post:

mellie6  (30-07-2013),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (20-06-2013)