+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default FET with a single dodgy emby.. experiences??

Hi all,

I'm on CD 1 of my first ever FET cycle after four crappy stims. From my third cycle, I was able to get one single miraculous frosty, which is the one I'll be using up this cycle, more out of interest to see if it will work than out of any real hope...

You see, the emby was a very strange one which followed the following growth pattern in the lab:

Day 1: 2PN
    Day 2: 4 cell
    Day 3: 5 cell
    Day 4: 8 cell compacting
    Day 5: 12 cell compacting (but still not a morula; lab told me at transfer that it would not survive)
    Day 6: Blasty!! (possibly expanding blasty), frozen on this day

I don't know how it is possible for such a slow, crappy emby to suddenly become a blasty overnight, and FS told me back then that he does not have high hopes for it due to its erratic growth. However I'm currently taking three months off stimming anyway to try and improve my egg quality with DHEA, so in the meantime I wanted to try an FET with this peculiar frosty just to 100% ensure it won't work. I'm pretty much expecting it to not survive the thaw, because even though my clinic said 90-95% of their blasties will thaw okay, I just don't think this one will be strong enough. But we'll see.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone has any experiences with undertaking an FET with only one emby that was slow or erratic, and if so, did it survive the thaw okay, and did you get a BFP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    My clinic says unless there is a chance it will work they won't freeze it.
    Hopefully your clinic has the same protocol.
    I am soon to transfer 2 day 6 hatching blasties.
    So fingers crossed for us both.

Best wishes,
    Fortitude

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fortitude For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not an exact science, my embryologist was saying things change hourly and a good one can become a bad one and vice versa. Can't hurt to give it a crack!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dodgy emby that technically didn't survive the thaw (had less than 20% cell survival and had collapsed and they recommended cancelling transfer and apologised after transfer cos they were certain it wouldn't work) is now the most beautiful 8 week old baby I have ever seen. And can I just say that her little personality is full of stubborn determination which I think was evident even at embryo stage.

Don't give up on your embryo yet, it's gotten this far. Who knows, of the billions of people that don't use ivf, millions could have embryos that look just like yours but we will never know.

Good luck

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traveler For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (24-03-2013),Wise Enough  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sticky was the first embryo our of the 5 we transferred that had problems. It wasn't grade A and didn't fully expand but is now a beautiful 3 month old baby girl. 3 of my other ones were grade a hatching blasties but they didn't take.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (24-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your reassurance. I'd like to think that this little one might be a winner BECAUSE it's not perfect, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    My dodgy emby that technically didn't survive the thaw (had less than 20% cell survival and had collapsed and they recommended cancelling transfer and apologised after transfer cos they were certain it wouldn't work) is now the most beautiful 8 week old baby I have ever seen. And can I just say that her little personality is full of stubborn determination which I think was evident even at embryo stage.

Don't give up on your embryo yet, it's gotten this far. Who knows, of the billions of people that don't use ivf, millions could have embryos that look just like yours but we will never know.

Good luck
    Your story is amazing, thanks so much. I can't help feeling like Sheldrick (the name I gave this emby) must be super strong if s/he could go from 12 cells to a blasty in 24 hours. Maybe like your little one s/he'll continue to come through for me.