DD started school this year at 4 and a half. She is doing very well and everybody told us she was ready. However there are 6 year olds in her class which means there are 18 months between them . I don't like this.
I missed 60 minutes last night and from what I read on fb after it finished we wee wrong in sending her?? I'm glad I didn't see it I probably would have cried!
Were hoping we can get DD into the private school we are looking at where she will start in kindy again. Just depends on the interview process etc. fingers crossed!!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 21 to 30 of 109
18-03-2013 18:21 #21
18-03-2013 18:37 #22
I was one of the youngest in my class when I started school in the final term of the year. By the end of the year, my parents/teacher thought it'd be best if I went straight into yr 1 rather than doing another year of reception. So I was then the youngest in my year level by almost a full year... all the other kids around my age had done 5 terms of reception, whilst I did 1.
Honestly, I think it was great for me. I would have been bored to tears being a year behind where I was, and I don't think it hampered me socially either. I then went on to skip grade 5 so was the youngest by far. Obviously I have no idea what things would have been like otherwise, but I never saw it as a negative. Always a positive to me.
That said, it of course depends on the child. You really have to decide whether you think she's ready. If you're not sure, I'd highly recommend speaking to the school. They'll be able to help.
18-03-2013 18:40 #23
18-03-2013 18:42 #24
I am a big believer in holding back. It's very difficult for 4 year olds to sit for longer periods of time and concentrate on several lessons a day.
18-03-2013 18:50 #25
Are you even allowed to?
A lot of schools are quite strict about it here. I know SIL has been trying to get her son in early - he misses out by ONE DAY and she's been refused, at several schools.
I would have loved to have sent DD early. She would have thrived. She spent the year before school bored out of her mind with preschool programs (because she's well beyond that academically), and has spend the following school years bored as well, and every year the Vice Principal attempts to bump her up another year level, but the Guidance Counsellor stops it from going ahead (he has told me he wouldn't allow it unless she was Mensa material). I did ask if she could begin a year ahead, but was told no. I wish I had fought for it a bit more, but not sure it would have gone anywhere... I know how pushy and scary SIL is... and if she's not getting anywhere I'm not sure I would have either (we're 25 days past cut-off).
Last edited by SassyMummy; 18-03-2013 at 18:52.
18-03-2013 18:54 #26
My DS1 started this year at 4.5 years old. I think we made the right decision for him.
18-03-2013 18:55 #27
DD is turning 6 next week, she is one of the youngest in her year. I don't regret sending her, there was never any suggestion of holding her back anyway as she is very bright, very outgoing and was ready to start.
18-03-2013 19:45 #28
I held my son back and have found it really benefited him he gets along great socially and is very smart and doing great academically there was a boy in his class who was a year younger and got started early both parents and preschool thought he was ready he did great his first year of school and second year halfway through they found he was struggling socially and wasn't able to cope so his parents ended up repeating him. My kids are all may and June babies all could start at 4 and a half but will be keeping them all back til they are 5 and a half.
18-03-2013 20:11 #29
DD was very much ready before the 5.5 years she started - other kids would do well with waiting longer. I think they really should assess and base on that... rather than a very strict cut-off date.
The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:
18-03-2013 20:38 #30
And I completely agree that it should be assesed differently. My DS1 was more than ready to start but I am incredibly grateful DS2 is a July baby and gets an extra year to prepare for fulltime schooling given his sensory issues - if he was before the cut off I am sure he wouldnt be ready and it would be a huge fight for me to hold him back.
By OurLittleBlessing in forum Should we have another baby?Replies: 14Last Post: 18-01-2013, 06:45
By winterbaby in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 30Last Post: 09-11-2012, 09:34
By MummysYellowCar in forum Preschools and SchoolsReplies: 36Last Post: 10-05-2012, 15:50
Melbourne Natural Medicine ClinicLeading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Wdyt- creepy postieGeneral Chat
Homework - is it necessary?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
High Natural Killer Cells #9Reproductive Immunology
IVF/FET April & May chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Bullying recoveryWorking Hubbers - Employed
I am... #20General Chat
IVF Babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 #2pregnancy and babies through IVF