+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When does the memory of traumatic labour fade?

I've been told by a lot of ladies that the memory of birth/pain gradually fades. I was just wondering what other people's experiences were and how long/if you ever "get over it"?
    I had a horrible 2 day labour 3 weeks ago and I can't seem to shake the memory. I know it's early days but I'm sick of it haunting me. I'm so grateful that I have my healthy baby boy. I guess I'm also down as my recovery had been really hard too and I know it will still be a long road....
    I know there are woman out there that have had it much harder, but.....I don't know, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance? My DP and I always wanted 2 children......but how?!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It hasn't faded for me in 9 years, but I've Learned over time to process and compartmentalise it in a way that makes it easier to accept. I had to realise where my personal responsibility began and ended (which helped with my own feelings of guilt and regret regarding certain things) and identified where my care providers let me down, and accepted those things that no one had control over.
    Processing all this opened the door for us to try for number two and made me feel less frightened about it happening again because I knew what I could control and what I couldn't and the most likely road to a better experience next time around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

bubbert  (17-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It was gradual for me, and I ended up on anti Ds and in therapy for 3 years. I can honestly say, that now, almost 7 years later, I can speak about it without getting upset, or shaking. It took a good while. Don't discount the wonders of therapy, it was so nice just to be able to go to someone impartial and talk about it, without getting the customary "at least you have a healthy baby" line.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

bubbert  (17-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for sharing your experiences ladies.