+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I just came across these posts today so there is a high possibility no one is replying anymore, but here goes nothing.

After trying to conceive for a while went to FS who advised us to have Laparoscopy. The Lap found Hydosalpinx on one side and blocked tube on the other, so we were advised to go down IVF road. We managed to get 12 eggs 3dt and put 11 in the freezer. Resulted in BFN

FS advised a scan which showed Hydro on both sides so booked another Laparaocopy and removed both tubes earlier this month. I cried and cried for weeks before the operation, but eventually calmed down and got on with it. I was doing fine until my infertility buddy got pregnant last week - naturally! I am so happy for her but at the same time devastated that I will never be able to get pregnant naturally and am petrified it may never happen. I just cant seem to pull myself together after her news

My FET is booked for January, wish I didn't have to wait a full cycle.

Kath - did you have any luck since your last post? I am in Perth also :-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IVFonly For This Useful Post:

kathryn1986  (01-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi IVF only

I've sent you a private message Hun x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kath,

Thank you for replying, I cant seem to work out how to message you on here, but sent you a FB request and a message but think it will be in your 'other' folder.

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kath,

I know it has been quite some time since you have made a post on here but I have just came across your story and I am going through almost the exact same things now and would love to chat with you and hear more details about your journey.

Thanks ,

Stacey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn1986 View Post
    Hi ladies,

So I thought I'd share my recent experiences as they are somewhat different to what I've previously dealt with in the Fertility world.

To cut a long story short I’m 26 and I've been TTC for 5 yrs, PCOS, blocked/damaged tubes due to appendicitis when I was 12yrs. 2 IVF cycles and 1 FET, all with BFN. Recently I have been diagnosed with Hydrosalpinx in both tubes but significantly more in the left tube. Hubby – PERFECT!

For those of you who don’t know, Hydrosalpinx is common in Fallopian tubes which are damaged or blocked due to scaring, adhesions and lesions. In a normal functioning tube, fluid flows in and out both ends and causes no problems. When a tube becomes blocked or damaged this fluid can build up and become toxic. This toxic fluid can leak into the uterus and can have a negative affect on embryos’; this fluid at times can also rush out and physically wash the embryo away. Obviously this significantly decreases the chances of IVF working.

My FS has recommended that I remove both tubes – Bilateral Salpingectomy. I was devastated to say the least and took me a good couple of weeks to get my head around it all. In a nutshell my tubes don’t work and are now actually causing me harm so I came to the decision that I would more forward with the surgery. Unfortunately due to the appendicitis my FS has said that I am not a good candidate for keyhole surgery and will be having the procedure via Laparotomy, which is the more traditional manner of completing this surgery. Laparotomy is a surgical procedure involving a large incision through the abdominal wall to gain access into the abdominal cavity and in my case they will be using the existing scar from my appendicitis. Unfortunately this means 6 weeks off work and a more difficult recovery – Being such an independent woman this has been really hard to get my head around – asking for help!!

It’s taken a while and I’ve definitely succumbed to negative thoughts of late, I’m normally super positive, motivated, driven; but I’ve realised that this diagnosis is a really good thing. It’s a possible reason for the past failed IVF attempts and will considerably improve the chances of future success.

For a while there (and still a little bit now) I’ve been having my own little pity party, why me, it’s not fair and generally feeling really angry about the situation. I think it’s ok to feel this way sometimes. Over my nearly 5 year journey I have remained so positive, so strong and determined so I decided to let myself feel these other feelings, deal with them and get them out of my system (hopefully). I’d have to say though as this situation now seems to be affecting my whole life, surgery, time of work, financial, emotional, physical I feel that this is the most I’ve every struggled through the fertility journey. I’m not sure how much more the body and mind can take, but we’ll find out I suppose. I seek so much solitude through online blogs and talking to other women, I feel it’s such a valuable support for me. Mostly because no one else in my life seems to have any idea AT ALL on how I feel.

Whilst I’m under they will also be doing a hysteroscopy (to check on my (very mildly) heart shaped uterus) and a D&C which is where they scrape away the endometrial lining, I believe they are doing this to test the cells but I’ll be asking more questions about this prior as I was actually not told they were planning this.

I thought that I would write this post to offer some fresh advice and conversation about Hydrosalpinx and what can follow this. I’ll continue to keep everyone posted about surgery information and recovery.

So today is Monday and I’m off for surgery on Friday (8th March), with a post operative appointment on Thursday. I’m going to ask the FS to reconsider or at least look at the possibility of a laparoscopy (keyhole) as opposed to a Laparotomy as all ultrasounds have shown my tubes, ovaries and other organs are all freely moving. However at the end of the day what will be will be and I’ll survive whatever they throw at me.

I hope that this information helps anyone reading, feel free to comment or share your stories also… I’d love to hear about some success after Salpingectomy stories too! J

Kath
    xx
    Hi Kath sorry this is a late reply... but wow! I can't believe I'm reading such a similar story to my own! I had appendicitis at 14 but no surgery (it had resolved itself). I didn't find this out until I was 32 but that infection left me with 'mangled tubes' as my FS called them, and resulted in an ectopic pregnancy in January. I also have a retroverse (backwards pointing) uterus which may have been caused by the infection too. Because it was emergency surgery I didn't have time to consider what was happening too much, I was diagnosed at 10am and surgery was at 4pm. Due to hydrosalpinx in both tubes, they actually thought the ectopic was in the other tube and so took that out first, couldn't find it, so took the other and found it. So I woke up without both tubes, but like you say in your OP - they would have been harming the whole process of embryo transfer anyway so I was kind of relieved to have them out. I was lucky enough to have been a candidate for laparoscopy so I recovered quickly. I am now 6 weeks pregnant after my first IVF round FET. That's my story! Interesting to read so many others have had similar experiences after abdominal infections earlier in life... I definitely don't remember anyone at the hospital being concerned about future fertility at the time! Kath hope you are recovering well and all the very best of luck for the future! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sfagan3040 View Post
    Hi Kath,

I know it has been quite some time since you have made a post on here but I have just came across your story and I am going through almost the exact same things now and would love to chat with you and hear more details about your journey.

Thanks ,

Stacey
    Stacey, wishing you all the very best care for what you're going through. Good vibes for you lovely x