+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    And perhaps there needs to be ads about breastfeeding. If we can make ads about not drink driving and not smoking and such, why not ads about the benefit of breastfeeding and the legalities of where women can breastfeed.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (26-02-2013),Eko  (26-02-2013),FrothyFrog  (26-02-2013),GreenMama  (26-02-2013),Kiplusthree  (26-02-2013),MissMuppet  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    And perhaps there needs to be ads about breastfeeding. If we can make ads about not drink driving and not smoking and such, why not ads about the benefit of breastfeeding and the legalities of where women can breastfeed.
    A great idea in theory. Media ads, especially those in prime time slots cost a FORTUNE. I just don't think this would be high on the governments priorities list given the need to save money, and an independent would hardly be able to cover the costs.

There was however, a couple of ads that ran years ago, which I believe the ABA did...? They were good ads

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I agree that would be amazing. Even if they aim it at my age group and whatever the gen under me is which would be like YouTube ads and social media stuff.. And what other stuff we do. I can't remember what advertising works on me right now but all the less expensive than prime time TV advertising would be really good.

Sent from my talky stick

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a boycott would have more impact on a business simply because of the financial factor over a long term period.
    Once the drama of a nurse-in is over people forget and move on. It doesn't really make an impact on the business on a long term basis generally. People are very in the moment and once the moment is gone it's often shifted to a back burner.

I guess a boycott is much on the same level if I'm realistic although for me a financial impact is more likely to have a sting in it's tail to a business than a brief flash in the pan "LOOK AT THIS ISSUE AND BE OUTRAGED!" type effort.

If you want to hurt a person, you embarrass them. If you want to hurt a business, you cost them money.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I agree that would be amazing. Even if they aim it at my age group and whatever the gen under me is which would be like YouTube ads and social media stuff.. And what other stuff we do. I can't remember what advertising works on me right now but all the less expensive than prime time TV advertising would be really good.

REALLY agree on that one too, Sassy has nailed it. Put it in an add on TV. Normalise it. Desensitize those who are uncomfortable to it and make it something that you see at least once a day and those people who have issues with it will soon get over it.
    It's because BFing in public is still sadly less common than it should be so people just aren't exposed to it as much as they could be. Get it out there in a matter of fact and intentionally non-antagonistic way and people will begin to accept it without a fight.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (26-02-2013),MissMuppet  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    And then the protest loses their intention anyway because no ones paying attention.

Sent from my talky stick
    Disagree, it just means that if someone is already well aware of the laws etc they can turn the page instead of having it "shoved down their throat" whereas if someone is not aware (which seems to be strangely common) they can read and be informed.

The intention is to educate people who are unaware.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sadly, I don't think either work.

What we need to focus on is making breastfeeding a positive, shameless and natural thing for the future generations, this is not something that is going to happen overnight. What many people don't acknowledge is that the older generations were brought up with a different perception to us; breastfeeding was something done in private. To them, the way they know is right. Nurse-ins do tend to give breastfeeding Mums that 'I'm going to walk around topless and there's nothing you can do' stigma, I think, more than they get a positive reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the time, I'm sure alot of people thought rosa parks was not going to get anywhere by simply refusing to move from her seat on a bus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The nurse-in has bought further attention to the issue, which is good, but a mass boycott is going to punish this business to a greater extent.

There are many people outraged that aren't breastfeeding mothers, just check out their facebook page.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Desensitize those who are uncomfortable to it and make it something that you see at least once a day and those people who have issues with it will soon get over it.
    It's because BFing in public is still sadly less common than it should be so people just aren't exposed to it as much as they could be. Get it out there in a matter of fact and intentionally non-antagonistic way and people will begin to accept it without a fight.
    I just am not sure I feel this will work. Im not saying it wont, Im saying it makes me uneasy to think that people are being forced to be around something that makes them uncomfortable for whatever their personal reason is.