+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you keep all your statements?

I have kept all my statement or years. Bank statements, phone, electricity, water, rates etc. Even letters from centerlink with changes to my baby bonus and etc.
    Tonight when I was filing it I wondered if there's any point in keep them at all. It's really a waste of paper and time!
    Anyone keeps any statements or letters?

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep! I keep everything, even receipts for silly little things.

My mum just recently went through a legal battle with her ex-boss over super sick pay, without her past 7 years of bank statements she would not have received a cent (as opposed to the $15,000 she was owed).

Also I just had to deal with debt collectors and get a black mark removed from my name over a mistake. N&S thought I hadn't payed for a blood test and sent a bunch of letters to my PO Box which I don't check often so I never received them. It eventually got passed over to debt collectors, got scary letters, calls etc. thankfully because I kept my receipt, reference number attached to the bill I was able to prove that I'd payed it and they realised it was a mistake on their part and rectified it.

I know they're extreme cases but I'm glad I keep and file everything and will continue to do so!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything but CL mail... Then TOTALLy regret it later lol So many times I have needed what they send but atthe time Im like "yeah, I will never need that" and throw it out.
    But yeah, I will keep everything for 5 years and if I havent needed it, then file it in the bin.. well the shredder

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't keep any.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I keep all my paid bills until I move house and it get disconnected. Then I call to make sure its said all paid on their end before binning them.

I throw away all my centrelink stuff and bank statements. Can always ring up and ask for back-statements if I need them.

I keep my estimated assessment CSA forms that come every financial year.

When it comes to rentals I keep every single scrap of paper they send me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you keep all your statements?

I shred everything unless I need it for tax

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I keep a lot of statements that I really don't need to - my home filing system leaves a lot to be desired!

I had a big clean out about 3 years ago and stupidly threw out old statements from my shares. Now I have to go to a lot of trouble to be able to access my money (provide certified documents, etc). Fail!

Thanks
    Reviews

I used to, then I realised that I don't need them and now they get shredded once they're paid. Unless we need them for tax, then we keep them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

I use to keep statements but now i like to declutter every now and then, so usually end up doing a mass shredding every year at least.

Rental documents i hang onto though until i've at the very least moved out of the property and had my bond paid back in full.