+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 182
  1. #131
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,877
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Erm ok... Well I understand your point but I am having trouble with the comparisons. Sporting, artistic, creative ability - these are all attributes, talents and yes I absolutely do think they play a role in career, employability. I think these are all components of a well-rounded education absolutely.

    Life skills - well ok of you think so but I am talking specifically about academic education... Life skills can be learnt anywhere and actually I would say most kids gain life skills after school, once they get out there in the world. If people want their children to embrace the spirituality of religion, they take them to church on Sundays...(?) I just don't think it's an educatschool subject that will have any benefit to their education.
    But Catholics do believe that religious education is a very important part of a well rounded education. In fact, it's not a catholic education if it's not included as part of the curriculum. A well rounded education means different things to different people.

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Far far away!
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    1,403
    Thanked
    1,063
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    I agree they have a right to include it, I just don't think they have a right to force students to take the class if they choose not to.
    I went to a Baptist school for my final years of high school, RE was not compulsory at our school. The only religious thing that was compulsory was a service that took place at the start of every term.
    I know in the Baptist schooling environment, it is less about the actual teaching of RE, more the idea of a Christian environment that is more nurturing than the standard public school system. It certainly had a positive effect on my life, I was a bright but unhappy kid, and had I not changed schools I doubt that I would have finished high school.
    I really don't like the idea of forcing a child into RE either tbh, I don't see it as being constructive or positive for the student, or the teacher teaching the subject!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

    Ellewood  (23-02-2013)

  4. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,246
    Thanks
    5,707
    Thanked
    4,639
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    But why does the school make RE compulsory? Why can't the school accept all students who want to attend and make RE elective?
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of it being a religious school?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:


  6. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    But Catholics do believe that religious education is a very important part of a well rounded education. In fact, it's not a catholic education if it's not included as part of the curriculum. A well rounded education means different things to different people.
    Well of course they will think that! But there's good reason why future employers do not ask about religion during job interviews.

    ALL religions think theirs is the right one, and all religious institutions want others to believe in them too.

    Anyway, yep I certainly agree its to their benefit to incorporate it into the school curriculum, I just don't think it's right. I know others do though.

  7. #135
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,877
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Well of course they will think that! But there's good reason why future employers do not ask about religion during job interviews.

    ALL religions think theirs is the right one, and all religious institutions want others to believe in them too.

    Anyway, yep I certainly agree its to their benefit to incorporate it into the school curriculum, I just don't think it's right. I know others do though.
    Do you think the same for all religious schools, like Jewish, Muslim schools as well should not teach it? Not trying to be annoying, I'm just not getting it...

  8. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If one of my employees started work for me and decided they didn't want to do certain things that my company usually does I would be livid - I would not expect a religious school to allow non Catholics to dictate what and how their child participate in their school - their school, their rules or go to the local public school and hope ( unlike OP!) your child can opt out of the religion classes
    Their schools their rules? I mean they educate about a 5th of our children, many who aren't catholic, they get funding from the government to run their schools, our public schools are in shambles and they use the money they get to indoctrinate children into the catholic faith. It abuses the lack of good quality schools we have avaible for their own cause.
    Will it be a big deal to make it elective? Or are they scared majority of kids won't get involved? How many of these parents even take their kids to church or involve them in religion at home? Besides celebratinig easter/christmas and that's it? How many people baptise their babies just because it's tradition or even just to get their kids into a good school with no interest in the religious side?
    Making children go to confession? I mean are you joking? What do kids need to confess about? Why would anyone want their child to participate in such a thing? I think the catholics need to worry about the sins of their priests and the corruption in the vatican and not be so concerned about getting children to confess and feel they need religion to cleanse their "sins"
    Sorry, not ranting at you Elijahs mum

    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of it being a religious school?
    No it wouldn't.
    I still don't believe in re for children, and highschool kids should have it as an elective at least after grade 10. What will happen if it's elective so the kids whose parents want them to learn and believe in it can make their kids attend? Why is that so bad? Does it still not achieve the same thing?

  9. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,204
    Thanked
    3,904
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    But Catholics do believe that religious education is a very important part of a well rounded education. In fact, it's not a catholic education if it's not included as part of the curriculum. A well rounded education means different things to different people.
    I agree.

    Personally I had/have no use for music, art, workshop, sport or drama but I guess it helped me experience new things.

  10. #138
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Do you think the same for all religious schools, like Jewish, Muslim schools as well should not teach it? Not trying to be annoying, I'm just not getting it...
    All should be elective and not in any primary school. I mention the catholic schools because they seem to get alot of money/government funding and have the most schools and influence.

  11. #139
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,592
    Thanks
    3,231
    Thanked
    6,568
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Their schools their rules? I mean they educate about a 5th of our children, many who aren't catholic, they get funding from the government to run their schools, our public schools are in shambles and they use the money they get to indoctrinate children into the catholic faith. It abuses the lack of good quality schools we have avaible for their own cause.
    Will it be a big deal to make it elective? Or are they scared majority of kids won't get involved? How many of these parents even take their kids to church or involve them in religion at home? Besides celebratinig easter/christmas and that's it? How many people baptise their babies just because it's tradition or even just to get their kids into a good school with no interest in the religious side?
    Making children go to confession? I mean are you joking? What do kids need to confess about? Why would anyone want their child to participate in such a thing? I think the catholics need to worry about the sins of their priests and the corruption in the vatican and not be so concerned about getting children to confess and feel they need religion to cleanse their "sins"
    Sorry, not ranting at you Elijahs mum

    No it wouldn't.
    I still don't believe in re for children, and highschool kids should have it as an elective at least after grade 10. What will happen if it's elective so the kids whose parents want them to learn and believe in it can make their kids attend? Why is that so bad? Does it still not achieve the same thing?
    I agree - if I happened to be a practicing catholic I would be ****ed that non Catholics or people just baptizing their children to use the school could be taking places away from other religious Catholics - I thought they stopped confession though years ago?

    Funding is a catch 22 though - if private and catholic schools had their funding stopped then the fees would rise dramatically forcing parents to go back to an extremely underfunded public system and it would not cope with the influx of new kids

  12. #140
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Funding is a catch 22 though - if private and catholic schools had their funding stopped then the fees would rise dramatically forcing parents to go back to an extremely underfunded public system and it would not cope with the influx of new kids
    No it wouldn't as the funding would be redirected to those public schools which desperately need it.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Religion and schools- i dont understand!
    By Bubbygirl in forum Religion / Spirituality
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 17:03
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 06:51
  3. Should Religion be taught in State Schools?
    By FiveInTheBed in forum General Chat
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 18:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting EducationProviding private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›