The Government is not responsible for an individual's own wealth. The end.
I agree with Lambjam; Abbott isn't well-liked by many. But he is one man leading an entire party. Listen to Julie Bishop and Malcolm Turnbull, two center-right politicians with prominent positions in the Liberal cabinet. They are two of the best current politicians IMO. I used to preference Greens but after the past few months of what Christine Milne has been saying, never again. The Greens have even less capacity to manage the economy then Labor does, and that's saying something!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 101 to 110 of 163
26-02-2013 18:32 #101
26-02-2013 18:32 #102Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2009
"Rupert Murdoch controls 70% of the metropolitan press"
'News Ltd owns 70 per cent of the circulation of major newspapers'
Last link didn't work.
Your comment: 'How much of the print media does Murdoch own? About 75%!'
Can you see the difference yet? You are talking about circulation, as I have said in my last couple of posts. He sells alot of papers. But he only owns or partially owns 32% of Australian newspapers.
Please don't poo poo my link because it is from the Australian. I think they would know best about themselves.
26-02-2013 18:34 #103
26-02-2013 18:39 #104Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2009
26-02-2013 18:51 #105
I remember an interview maybe 3-4 years back, with him saying he would like to see abortion for only strict medical reasons. I can't find a link though, but I know he said it bc even then, when I didn't really consider myself as pro choice like I do now I was He also tried to block RU40 coming into Aust as Health Minister, which speaks volumes.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tony_Abbott Here are some of his anti abortion and anti female comments *shudders*
he also tried to change medicare so women couldn't get reimbursed... which failed...
and on the subject of PPL....
You probably also know, for instance, that Abbott once said he would support compulsory paid maternity leave "over this government's dead body".
BUT did you know this was not a throw-away line, but a well-established ideological standpoint? Repeatedly in 2001 and 2002 he argued paid maternity leave was a matter for "women and their employers", and that it created "first and second-class mothers" because it left out stay-at-home mothers.
Here we are a decade later and he's taking a business-funded 26-week paid parental leave scheme to the election. But it's already been delayed and amended during the campaign - so I wonder whether it will ever see the light of day.
26-02-2013 18:55 #106On immigration:Read this very carefully, Australia.
1. ‘Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia.’
2. ‘These people aren’t so much seeking asylum, they’re seeking permanent residency. If they were happy with temporary protection visas, then they might be able to argue better that they were asylum seekers’
On rights at work:
3. ‘Bad bosses, like bad fathers and husbands, should be tolerated because they do more good than harm’
4. ‘The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience.’
5. ‘I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons’
6. ‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’
7. ‘What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up, every year…’
On Julia Gillard:
8. ‘Gillard won’t lie down and die’
On climate change:
9. ‘Climate change is absolute crap’
10. ‘If you want to put a price on carbon why not just do it with a simple tax.’
11. ‘I’d probably … I feel a bit threatened’
12. ‘If you’d asked me for advice I would have said to have – adopt a sort of “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy about all of these things…’
On Indigenous Australia:
13. ‘Now, I know that there are some Aboriginal people who aren’t happy with Australia Day. For them it remains Invasion Day. I think a better view is the view of Noel Pearson, who has said that Aboriginal people have much to celebrate in this country’s British Heritage’
14. ‘Western civilisation came to this country in 1788 and I’m proud of that…’
15. ‘There may not be a great job for them but whatever there is, they just have to do it, and if it’s picking up rubbish around the community, it just has to be done’
On Nicola Roxon:
16: ‘That’s bull****. You’re being deliberately unpleasant. I suppose you can’t help yourself, can you?’
Last edited by delirium; 26-02-2013 at 19:06. Reason: adding link
26-02-2013 18:56 #107
26-02-2013 19:06 #108Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2009
I agree with most of those comments. (I'm sure I will be attacked from all fronts for saying that).
If they are the worst quotes from someone who has been in the public eye for as long as he has, then he hasn't done too badly.
Gillard has said more stupid quotes in the last month than he has in his career.
26-02-2013 19:10 #109
They might know best about themselves, but they don't want to portray the truth. The do not like the greens and had a vendetta against Bob Brown. They have an agenda!
Last edited by BigRedV; 26-02-2013 at 19:13.
26-02-2013 19:11 #110
GymbaROOGymbaROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
I am... #20General Chat
Come chat, Ladies who are 40+ TTC or ExpectingConception & Fertility General Chat
First time school starters 2017 chat thread!School aged children
HGC lelvels stressed please helpConception & Fertility General Chat
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
any one else get a bfp after laparoscopy?Endometriosis Chat