+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Which manners are most important to teach your children?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

I also don't go around telling random kids what to do. Lol. I meant more nieces, nephews, etc. When they are, "can you get me a drink?" I pause and wait until they add please. I don't let go of the cup until they say thank you either. These are children I know. I would behave similarly with any children in my care... But it's not like ill interrupt your family in the shops and tell them how to behave. Lol.
    This!!!! This says perfectly what I mean by 'prompting'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

If you demonstrate to your children good manners, they'll learn. Whilst I do encourage my children to say please and thank you, they have picked it up just by me saying it to them. They also say you're welcome and excuse me without me ever having to force them, because I say it to them. They're 4 and 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I think not interrupting is very important as well.

And stay seated at dinner table.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If you demonstrate to your children good manners, they'll learn. Whilst I do encourage my children to say please and thank you, they have picked it up just by me saying it to them. They also say you're welcome and excuse me without me ever having to force them, because I say it to them. They're 4 and 2.
    That's exactly how I feel, and it is working for us. I like to know he says it because he means it, as opposed to saying it because he may be reprimanded iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sorry, a bit of a hijack here - I was always taught to call adults Mr or Mrs as a child, but I can't remember how mum enforced that, how do you do it? I'd like my little one to show the same respect to adults. Also when I was young I don't think I had any friends with parents who weren't married to each other so you could safely assume that the parent's last name was the same as the child, but with so many kids with different names to their parents today, how do you find out what the parents last names are for your kids to call them that?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Sorry, a bit of a hijack here - I was always taught to call adults Mr or Mrs as a child, but I can't remember how mum enforced that, how do you do it? I'd like my little one to show the same respect to adults. Also when I was young I don't think I had any friends with parents who weren't married to each other so you could safely assume that the parent's last name was the same as the child, but with so many kids with different names to their parents today, how do you find out what the parents last names are for your kids to call them that?
    For me my Mum would just say "Say hello to Mrs. John" etc etc etc. And calling your teachers "Mr" and "Mrs" just kind of helped it along.
    With the unknowing of the name, I used to just call them "Hello Mrs. Becs Mum!" Or something like that.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My daughter has good manners, she says please and thank you she will stop and give way when people cut in front of her in her wheelchair she will say after you sir or after you madam lol she says excuse me when she wants to say something but hasn't yet got the hang of waiting she says excuse me excuse me until every one shuts up, we are working on that one

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To keep it short and sweet there are three things that I feel are VITAL. The others are also very important, but "Please", "Thank you" and "I'm sorry" are absolute essentials in my book.

I can't stand kids that talk back to adults or give sass and there's many other things that strike me as rude but those three will generally get you through most things without you looking like a chav lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Which manners are most important to teach your children?

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I think that's a bit outdated. Even as a child we generally referred to our friends parents by their first name unless otherwise specified. My mother always went by her first name.
    I cringe when called 'MRS/MISS xxxxx'... Absolutely hate it.
    I think it's just safer to go by first name these days too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (15-02-2013),Lincolns mummy  (15-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I think that's a bit outdated. Even as a child we generally referred to our friends parents by their first name unless otherwise specified. My mother always went by her first name.
    I cringe when called 'MRS/MISS xxxxx'... Absolutely hate it.
    I think it's just safer to go by first name these days too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    My parents always preferred to be called Mr and Mrs by my friends, and I had a friend who called all of our friends parents by their first names and it even made me cringe in my early teens. There were a few who corrected me and would tell me to call them by their first names but most were happy to be called Mr or Mrs. I'm 23 so it wasn't that long ago for me, so I don't agree that it's old fashioned, but old fashioned or not, I'll be ensuring my daughter calls adults Mr or Mrs unless otherwise specified.