+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Ergo help from babywearers

I really want to buy a carrier for this coming baby. I don't want anything I have to wrap or tie. I need something simple so was thinking an ergo.

http://www.babesinarms.com.au/ergoba...-bundle-of-joy

This is the one I have been thinking about getting.

Does anyone know of this is a good choice? Bub will be born in a Tassie winter so no need to worry about overheating. Our summers aren't too crazy either usually 20-30s

Is there any other carrier I should also be looking at?
    Also how do you spot a fake? At one stage I was considering buying second hand on eBay but I wouldn't know which were really or fake so I think I'll buy new.

Help please
    Last edited by waterlily; 11-02-2013 at 09:39.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Fakes are hard to spot. You could join BWBSS on Facebook and buy a second hand ergo there, otherwise babes in arms is the way to go.

If you don't want a wrap, then ergo and manduca are probably the easier to find options for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I just found this.
    http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/bab...ack-camel.html

What a bargain!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Fakes are hard to spot. You could join BWBSS on Facebook and buy a second hand ergo there, otherwise babes in arms is the way to go.

If you don't want a wrap, then ergo and manduca are probably the easier to find options for you.
    Thanks Hun, I'll have a look.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Have a look at the Babies in Space carriers- much cheaper than an ergo and pretty supportive (made in Melbourne), also a Boba (although you cannot cross the straps) but like the manduca no stuffy insert required and the bondolino.
    Personally I think structured carriers are better for toddlers because they are so big and you simply pad them out to make them fit as a newborn. I would consider a mei tei with a newborn from BWBSS and look into the structured carrier closer to 12 months of age
    Thanks, I'll have a look at all you have suggested!!
    I had a peanut shell and mei tei for DD when she was a bub and we both didn't like them. DD just cried in them and I hated having to tie the mei tei. So we just gave up, i still had to carru her just without the carrie :-/
    I'll have a 4 year old to chase this time so I want to stick with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's the one that I have and I love it. I got it when DD was 3 months old though so didn't get the insert. DD is now 2 1/2 and I still use it regularly for longer walks as I just wear it as a backpack until she gets tired and then she jumps in.

I tried a few different ones and never liked them, but I love the ergo

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    You can always pop some rings on a mei tei and make a buckle if you still have it
    Its more the sizing (width and height of the carrier) that makes the mei tei more attractive than a OSFM full buckle
    I do still have it. I could probably put buckles on it. Would it be safe to do though?

Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    That's the one that I have and I love it. I got it when DD was 3 months old though so didn't get the insert. DD is now 2 1/2 and I still use it regularly for longer walks as I just wear it as a backpack until she gets tired and then she jumps in.

I tried a few different ones and never liked them, but I love the ergo
    Oh awesome! Thanks! I'll be having a c-section so won't be using it till I'm healed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an ergo and a hug-a-bub.

I found the infant insert a bit awkward on the ergo though. You sort of had to wrap them up in it, then slip it in. I never really came around to it, so I started using the HAB. I know you don't want to tie, but what about a mei tai? I don't have one but it sort of looks easier than a full wrap?

From about 3 months, I have been using the ergo with him (without insert) and it's good now. I particularly like it for quick trips like when I drop my older son at daycare.

The only thing is that he sits a bit low in the back position. I haven't tried one, but I think you can get them higher in a wrap. Also, if you are a bit rolly-polly, the strap digs in when you back carry, giving a muffin top affect. I thought it was just because I am quite overweight, but several other people in my dig who are less overweight complain of the ergo muffin top as well.

Anyway, I've found the Ergo to be a durable, easy-to-use carrier, and you can always get a wrap or something different later and use both.