+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had a cocktail wedding and everyone had plenty to eat. It really depends on the kind of food they serve, but ours was nice (no party pies) but substantial (there were chicken drumettes etc). Some places will do a fork dish if you want to bulk it out a bit. I loved my cocktail wedding, and others did too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wedding food dilemma....

Thanks for feedback everyone! So my next question -- if we still ran with the cocktail style (I don't like the "formality" of sit down!) -- but got a few platters for extra food, I'd prob want something a bit substantial, to fill people up.....but do you think it's tacky to have something like mini pizzas or similar at a wedding?

While I don't want it too formal, I also want it to still feel like a wedding.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Nah I love pizza! Not tacky at all
    So much cocktail food is seafood which I don't eat so I'm straight on it when something awesome like pizza comes out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I personally wouldn't enjoy mini pizzas. I'd much prefer platters like anti pesto, cheese and crackers, fruits and meats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    So we are at the point if choosing sit down dinner vs stand up cocktail.

I really want a cocktail wedding. But I'm worried people will go hungry!!

The venue has told us the food service will go for two hours & guests will get around 15 canapés each (mixture of hot & cold). This doesn't sound like enough food for dinner???

What do you guys think?

Did anyone out there have cocktail receptions? How much food was there & was it enough???
    We had cocktail & I was worried bout the same but there was plenty of food, I also went o a friends wedding on the weekend there was plenty, even with the things I couldn't eat being pregnant.

A good way to work it out is visualise the pieces on a plate, 15 is a lot, I think it would be plenty... If your still concerned have a look at the types of food they are serving to make sure some of the items are filling... Also google, there is plenty of advice out there for this type of thing! Platters of dips and bread can help too!

Thanks
    Reviews

What about noodle boxes? I have seen that done before, it can be messy. I think pizza isn't a good choice. I think you can still do sit down that isn't overly formal, what about entree, main then cake. It is more speeches etc that make a wedding formal. 2 courses would be cheaper than canapés and hot platters.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for feedback everyone! So my next question -- if we still ran with the cocktail style (I don't like the "formality" of sit down!) -- but got a few platters for extra food, I'd prob want something a bit substantial, to fill people up.....but do you think it's tacky to have something like mini pizzas or similar at a wedding?

While I don't want it too formal, I also want it to still feel like a wedding.....
    We had mini hamburgers, everyone loved them! And lamb cutlets :-)

Pizza can look ok, if done right, more a gourmet topping :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

I you're not keen on a formal sit down menu, maybe consider a buffet? I've been to some wonderful buffet receptions. Choose a venue then get caterers in?
    Btw we were in the VIP section of an event and were served the most wonderful mini pizzas, they tasted just lie gourmet wood fired ones!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Wedding food dilemma....

We had cocktail food at our recent wedding, and there was more than enough (very delish) food! I was really really really worried about people going hungry so we asked for antipasto platters and dippy things out when everyone arrived at the reception. We chose 12 or 13 dishes to be served - some small nibbley things and some a little bigger... like Thai noodle boxes, Cesar salad in a little box and I can't remember what else! I actually have no idea how long the caterers served food for, the initial plan was for them to serve for a couple of hours, have a break over the speeches then serve again after that when people started to get hungry again. Everyone raved about the food and I don't think anyone went home hungry, which was my biggest worry!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We had cocktail but we chose the largest menu our caterers had to offer and we ordered for more people than invited guests. We ended up with trays of yummy leftovers that hubby and I polished off on our honeymoon! oh and we had a dessert buffet plus huge cake! Re the standing we hired a private boutique beach house and had less than 30 guests so there were large lounge suites with chaise, we set up bar tables and chairs and there was a huge daybed on the terrace, noone was left standing!
    Last edited by Mathermy; 09-02-2013 at 18:58.