+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Melanoma

My ex (we are still living together) had a skin cancer check the other day. He actually only noticed how different the mole looked a week ago, because it has been hidden under his beard for the last two years or so.

Anyways, he went under the knife the other day and he doctor said that they had to send it to biopsy but that "to be honest, it doesn't look good at all". He received a phone call yesterday and was informed that it is Melanoma. He went in for another consultation with a private skin clinic the same day and is going under the knife again on Wednesday, because it apparently is really urgent and he cannot wait for the public system to see him. He will continue to do other tests and regular check-ups to see if it is spreading.

I was just wondering how many of you have been diagnosed or know someone else with Melanoma. What was the prognosis like?

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Default Re: Melanoma

I know 3 people who have had it. Sadly 2 died with in a year the other one is still going strong 10 years later. It really depends on how early they catch it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry to here that hope he will be ok My friend had a Melanoma at just 22 it was on the side of her face she had it cut out and now has to get cheeked every 3mths to make sure its not coming back or have any more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tigerchick For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend has had a few cut out from various places on his body (lots of sun damage done as a child). So far he has been lucky, none of them have spread and they have been able to be removed completely through minor surgery. He's got some pretty impressive scars though - what looked like a small spot on his back resulted in a scar several inches long because when they got in their it was bigger than they thought and they had to take a much wider margin of tissue to make sure they got it all. He hasn't needed any other treatment.

My understanding from his experiences is it depends on how early it's caught and where on the body it is - some spots are closer to lymph nodes etc so it's 'easier' for it to spread to other areas of the body or get into the blood ******. Also if its on the face they won't mess around because its such a delicate area to be operating on in the first place - the quicker they ca do it hopefully the smaller the surgery area and the less chance of reconstructive work being needed.

Good luck, I really hope everything works out ok.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wktz For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (09-02-2013),MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Melanoma

Did they tell him what stage it was??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Melanoma

At the medical practice where I used to work, we had many people coming through with melanoma. Most of the time the GP just cut it out, sent it to pathology & that's all the person needed to do. They had to come in every few months for a check up. It really depends on how early they catch it.
    Thinking of you miss S x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Melanoma

I agree with PP. depends on when they catch it. My Mum had a mole cut out an it tested positive. She had to go back and get massive amount of skin removed. That was all treatment she needed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melanoma

The problem with Melanoma is it can be missed so easily, my BIL (34 years old) is battling it now, his had spread to his lung, bowel & pelvis before it was picked up, they still don't know where it originated.... We are currently waiting on results of his last lot of treatment, hopefully they have got it all, for now. He was given a 20% chance, but as PP have stated it depends on how early they catch it and what sort of treatment they can fight it with.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melanoma

Bump

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Melanoma

yeah depends how quick they catch it and if it spreads! my dad thought he caught his early and got it cut out but he passed away after it spreading to his body, however due to medical conditions he couldn't have chemo or anything so his chances were low

I hope for the best case scenario for you <3

19. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (10-02-2013)