+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Might need induction due to small baby - any experiences/

I'm in the middle of my third trimester with baby no. 2 and my bub has been measuring small but normal. However, during my last OB appt, two of the measurements (stomach and thigh) were measuring a bit too small and so will be going to have another u/s to get a second opinion. If they also are concerned, will need to be induced 2 weeks early.

First baby was also very small at 2.5kgs. So not sure if I make small babies or if baby has stopped growing enough inside me. I will go with what the OB decides is best as I am worried that my placenta is not doing it's job (last time a part of it had died - I had natural labour at 41 weeks).

Has anybody else had to be induced and how was it for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was induced with my 1st and 3rd but not for the same reasons.
    My first was a wk overdue, my 3rd waters broke but no contractions.

My second baby measured small and they were talking about inducing me because he wasn't growing, this was 5 wks before my due date, they said if at my scan he had put on any weight they will let me go a bit longer but he decided to come on his own 4 wks early. He was fine just small and went in an incubator my 3 rd was also 2 wks early.

They say being induced increases the pain which could be possible but seeing as though my first was induced, my second took 20 mins and my 3rd induced I can't really judge the difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got induced 2 weeks ago for my 2nd baby....due to large size and reduced movements. I was 37 weeks.
    I had a 12 hour pessary first that didn't do anything followed by 2 applications of gel, which also didn't bring on labour more than mild contractions every few mins only lasting 30 seconds. At the 18 hour mark I had waters broken and syntocinon drip, which did the job! I had my son 8 hours later. I had an epidural as the contractions came full on and I was tired...but to be honest I'd probably have had an epidural whether I was induced or not as I had one with my first and thought it was the best thing ever

Re being induced early I just went off Drs advice. Decided I'd prefer a healthy baby on the outside than worrying for weeks about a potential issue whilst still inside.
    Good luck with your decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karen2010 View Post
    I got induced 2 weeks ago for my 2nd baby....due to large size and reduced movements. I was 37 weeks.
    I had a 12 hour pessary first that didn't do anything followed by 2 applications of gel, which also didn't bring on labour more than mild contractions every few mins only lasting 30 seconds. At the 18 hour mark I had waters broken and syntocinon drip, which did the job! I had my son 8 hours later. I had an epidural as the contractions came full on and I was tired...but to be honest I'd probably have had an epidural whether I was induced or not as I had one with my first and thought it was the best thing ever

Re being induced early I just went off Drs advice. Decided I'd prefer a healthy baby on the outside than worrying for weeks about a potential issue whilst still inside.
    Good luck with your decision
    Just out of curiosity, what size was your baby?

Thanks
    Reviews

I was induced at 36 weeks. My son was 2.4 kgs when he was born. My induction experience was positive although I did end up with a forceps delivery due to ds heart rate dropping.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They kept calling it macrosomic and "guessed" it to be 4.3-4.5kg if I went full term. He arrived an average size of 3.5kg at 37 weeks.