Closed Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 287
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,945
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked
    963
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Smoking while pregnant IS a big effing whoop. It's bad for your own health and its risking the life of your baby.

    I don't think it disgusting that she was shamed into apologizing ....as I think smoking while preggers is shameful.

    I agree with you... Chrissie did nothing illegal. But come on... Smoking in cars with young kids is illegal... The only reason why smoking while preggers isn't illegal is because its a big fat political and legal nightmare (mothers body rights blah blah blah). It's something that disgusts society and is definitely not something one can defend let alone brag that it's 'their right' to do.
    I never ever smoke anywhere near my daughter now or in the car. I have never said it was my right. I hated and still hate myself for doing so and to have someone assume that it is a choice that I made makes me so unbelievably upset .
    To think that I would want to put my child in danger makes me feel sick and to have what I did labeled as shameful well yes I am ashamed by what I did but who's business is it to label me that way. I beat myself up enough, having a stranger come up to me and tell me so - I am sorry - but it would have put me over the edge.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,945
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked
    963
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry but my first thought is get some balls, willpower, professional help, whatever and just stop. I have no sympathy for mothers that put their babies at risk.
    So hundreds of $$ in hypnotherapy drs and anything I could think of but it still didn't work. Get some tact please that is just hurtful. Get some balls? At least I have the balls to admit what I did and that I regret it.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (07-02-2013),beebs  (07-02-2013),Lauzy83  (07-02-2013)

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,744
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I didn't see Chrissie brag at all.

    In fact, when I saw her on television tonight, she lasted all of about one minute before breaking down in tears, saying how embarrassed she was, how guilty she felt, how she had tried so hard to stop smoking as she did with her previous 2 pregnancies, but just wasn't able to this time.

    I'm not a smoker, so I'm not here defending smokers. I actually LOATHE smoking... there is plenty of evidence for my distaste of smoking all over this site from various years... so it's not that. It's the fact that HER choice is being scrutinised. It's disgusting, and if anyone thinks that shaming someone is likely to see them quit, I think they're delusional. Just as telling a fat person they're fat is unlikely to see them losing weight, telling a smoker they're disgusting is unlikely to stop the habit. If anything, she'd be using cigarettes to relieve stress... and surely it's pretty damn stressful when everyone is talking about how revolting they find you to be, how much of a horrible person and mother you must be to not somehow become immune to your addiction the moment you fall pregnant.

    It's an addiction for a reason. It doesn't become any easier to stop just because you've fallen pregnant.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),bpac  (06-02-2013),Bubbles10  (07-02-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (07-02-2013)

  6. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked
    204
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry but my first thought is get some balls, willpower, professional help, whatever and just stop. I have no sympathy for mothers that put their babies at risk.
    So VicPark you have been a smoker I take it?

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

    bpac  (06-02-2013)

  8. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked
    204
    Reviews
    0
    It's so easy to throw stones, I think often it's a way of coping with our own insecurities/failings.
    To help women it's education and compassion that's needed not kicking someone when they fall.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (07-02-2013),bpac  (07-02-2013)

  10. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I didn't see Chrissie brag at all.

    In fact, when I saw her on television tonight, she lasted all of about one minute before breaking down in tears, saying how embarrassed she was, how guilty she felt, how she had tried so hard to stop smoking as she did with her previous 2 pregnancies, but just wasn't able to this time.

    I'm not a smoker, so I'm not here defending smokers. I actually LOATHE smoking... there is plenty of evidence for my distaste of smoking all over this site from various years... so it's not that. It's the fact that HER choice is being scrutinised. It's disgusting, and if anyone thinks that shaming someone is likely to see them quit, I think they're delusional. Just as telling a fat person they're fat is unlikely to see them losing weight, telling a smoker they're disgusting is unlikely to stop the habit. If anything, she'd be using cigarettes to relieve stress... and surely it's pretty damn stressful when everyone is talking about how revolting they find you to be, how much of a horrible person and mother you must be to not somehow become immune to your addiction the moment you fall pregnant.

    It's an addiction for a reason. It doesn't become any easier to stop just because you've fallen pregnant.
    She's not a saint. She's a personality. She's someone who has talked about her family and her pregnancies, and brought it into the public eye. Being a mum is part of her shtick.

    She got busted smoking when pregnant. If, say, Jacki O was busted doing the same thing would everyone be protecting her?

    Sorry I just don't get the level of sympathy for her. I don't agree with shaming pregnant women for smoking, but I can't defend it either.

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    angelini  (07-02-2013),Guest654  (07-02-2013),Little Mrs R  (07-02-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (07-02-2013),peanutmonkey  (06-02-2013)

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked
    2,107
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    I think it's a very complicated topic because there are a lot of women with sick babies, or that can't have children and all they dream of is a healthy child. So to do something that knowingly puts your baby at risk saddens a lot of people and probably makes them angry.

    It comes down to everyone's personal experience. I know some wonderful women who would give their right boob to be given the amazing chance to carry a child. So to a lot of women (and men) it does seem disgusting and selfish, it provokes an emotional reaction you just can't help. Doesn't mean they are going to go up to a pregnant woman smoking and say something to them.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    Guest654  (07-02-2013),MINIRoo  (07-02-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (07-02-2013),mrswhitehouse  (07-02-2013)

  14. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,945
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked
    963
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    It's so easy to throw stones, I think often it's a way of coping with our own insecurities/failings.
    To help women it's education and compassion that's needed not kicking someone when they fall.
    Thank you. It has been three years since dd has been born. I still fight everyday about smoking and still can't quit. This is a very real and raw issue for me and to have some people be so heartless is really crushing.
    It may be a public forum
    But considering people's feelings and vulnerabilities some thought needs to go into what you write and how you write it.

  15. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked
    2,107
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    She's not a saint. She's a personality. She's someone who has talked about her family and her pregnancies, and brought it into the public eye. Being a mum is part of her shtick.
    I agree, she often talks about motherhood, her kids and pregnancy and babies, not just on air but in her column. Part of her appeal is being a mum. It's only natural for people to have a reaction.

  16. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,945
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked
    963
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

    Default 'I knew it was wrong': Chrissie Swan admits to smoking while pregnant

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    She's not a saint. She's a personality. She's someone who has talked about her family and her pregnancies, and brought it into the public eye. Being a mum is part of her shtick.

    She got busted smoking when pregnant. If, say, Jacki O was busted doing the same thing would everyone be protecting her?

    Sorry I just don't get the level of sympathy for her. I don't agree with shaming pregnant women for smoking, but I can't defend it either.
    Ok so my sympathy is not only for her but for every single mother or pregnant woman out there who reads things in the news and things like this forum.
    I can say completely honestly that even if Justin Bieber was caught smoking while pregnant I would sympathise with the media he would have to deal with. It's not the person it is the addiction.


 
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Send your message of support to Chrissie Swan
    By BH-editor in forum General Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 11:15
  2. Anxiously waiting! Who just knew they were pregnant?
    By Zeddy in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 12:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›