+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Oh yes, the wind pain.... Nothing compares to it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryR View Post
    Oh yes, the wind pain.... Nothing compares to it!
    Oh yes I remember that, the relief of letting it out was amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks to everyone who's posted here. I am probably having a CS in September, partly because I have a groin hernia that is an unknown quantity for labour, and they can operate on it at the same time, and partly because I am scared of labour anyway!

I know a CS is not the 'easy way out' and have been watching YouTube videos etc to understand exactly what happens. I appreciate all the advice and info in this thread!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (05-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a planned c-section 3 days ago in the private system. The level of care I received was generally excellent however a few tips from my experience:

- Be prepared to be asked MANY times by the middies the reason for your c-section. Not all necessarily seemed to be asked in judgement but it was a very common Qu I got.
    - If elective it can be a good idea to do some preparation to manage any feelings of anxiety that arise. I practicised hypnobirthing techniques for a calm Caesarian birth in the weeks leading up to it (dowloaded from iTunes) but I admit they did out go out the window a bit when my combined spinal/epi was not successfully put in the 1st time. My anesthetist then gave me some anti anxiety meds via the cannula but the techniques were also useful for me in managing my anxiety about not being able to move my legs for many hours post op.
    - Be prepared for unexpected but common side effects. I shivered violently through most of my DD's delivery which did detract from the experience but thankfully felt no nausea etc which I was expecting.
    - Ask your anaesthetist to take photos with your camera. Ours took some cracker shots we would never have gotten of DD's moment of arrival.
    - Use a stool softener in the days leading up to your surgery, it will make things much easier when you have a bowel movement. I took my own to hospital and continued it daily as well as taking my own Degas. Picked up that tip here and they've both been a life saver!
    - If you have the option of leaving the epi in to self administer pethidine I would recommend it. It does restrict your movement but you can give yourself a dose in the middle of the night or whenever you like without waiting for the midwife to respond to your request for pain relief or worrying if they are late with your tablets. I kept mine in 48hrs and also had no issues with getting out of bed at 8am after a c-section at 6pm the night before.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 30-06-2013 at 17:20.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (30-06-2013),orlyon  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starf1sh View Post
    I had a planned c-section 3 days ago in the private system. The level of care I received was generally excellent however a few tips from my experience:

- Be prepared to be asked MANY times by the middies the reason for your c-section. Not all necessarily seemed to be asked in judgement but it was a very common Qu I got.
    Not sure about the private system, but it was part of every changeover in the public hospital for the finishing midwife to explain to the starting midwife everything about labour, birth, recovery, baby etc. so I never got asked why I had my c-section.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved my planned c-section but I do wish I'd known the following:

1. The feeling may not return to both legs at the same time... My right side was numb for a good hour or so after the feeling had returned in my left and it freaked me out!!

2. My scar and the area around it is numb. I hate it and it drives me insane... My section was 4 months ago but the feeling might never return to the area...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great tips, Starfish. I, too, shivered heaps - maybe an adrenaline response? - and I wish I had known about the stool softener before I gave birth. Can get pretty uncomfortable which you don't need on top of post-op pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First time - emergency c section in public hospital. Care was abysmal and scar looked awful. I complained about not being able to go to the loo and was given a glass of Metamucil.... just dandy. Overall, crappy experience. Second time around elective C-section in private hospital. Staff were incredible jovial and helpful, care was taken to minimise scarring, I informed them of my "toilet problem" 1st time round and gave me Movical (I think that's how it's spelt) and really kept on top of how I was going with pain and my toilet movements. Having to share a toilet in the public system also was horrible when you try to go for the first time with other patients knocking on the door. Thank god for the private health system!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing I didn't expect with my C Section was not only did I have a spinal (which I was expecting) but I was also quite heavily sedated. I can't say it was a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it. When DP came into the room after they put the spinal in, it was the first thing I said LOL.
    All in all I think I remember about 1/2 an hour of my 2 hour section and recovery, but I remember all the important bits. It was like if there was something to concentrate on, like my DP or baby, I remember it, but if I was alone (like in recovery alone, I don't remember a thing :-))