+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Tips on keepings fish tank clean

How can i keep my fish tank cleaner? Whenever i clean it, only a few days later its all gross and needs to be done again but i leave it as it wouldnt be good for the fish.

We have 4 fish(one goldfish and 3 other sorts that are a little smaller than the goldy. Our tank is only 20litres so not overly big or anything either.

I have a filter plus i use water equaliser(sorry only thing i could think to call it but makes the water good for them). I used to have snails but they all died(4 of them)

We have had the tank since june last year and i really hate looking at a dirty tank each day.

Amy hints or tricks i could use?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Tips on keepings fish tank clean

Don't clean it ultra thoroughly. You need to leave some bacteria(bacteria can be good and bad) in there so the good bacteria can multiply and keep it clean. Also some fish are dirtier than others like goldfish. Too many fish can make it really dirty and cause things to die.

Rinse rocks off. Use salt to clean the glass. Put at least 1/4 original water back in. Try not to clean at the first sign of a dirty tank cos it can do more harm than good. The good bacteria needs a chance to multiply so they can do their thing.

Main point though. Don't over populate.

ETA

A tank that size can really only hold one goldfish from experience. Maybe if some of them die replace with an algae eater.

Ohhh and don't over feed. a lot of people don't realise that fish only need a very small amount of food. The rest just sinks to the bottom and makes the tank dirty

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 01-02-2013 at 18:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A snail or a little algee (sp?) eater fish works great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Less food maybe. DD has a fish tank she's had for AGES and I don't think it's ever required a proper clean out. It gets a wipe down, and refilled when the water evaporates a bit, but seriously, it's always clean.

You also may simply have too many fish in there. Imagine a 3-bedroom house with 12 people living in it. It's gonna get messy quick!

Ideally, you should have at least 20L of water per small goldfish, and a minimum of 2 of those per tank... so 40L minimum. You can still technically keep more than 1 in 20L... and they should survive... so long as they're small and no more than 2.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Goldies are messy, but they aren't too bad really, I have a heap of them from tiny to massive.

Aside from the above tips, also ensure it is not near a window and getting daylight and heat all day long.

Get 2 sucking catfish, they cost about $6.50 each or there abouts, and they are great little cleaners. You'll be warned they might latch onto a fish but in a yr of having them, it's never happened to mine.

Be wary of snails, you may only get one but they can duplicate fast, and you will need a tight fitting lid also if you go that way.

I have 4 big ones in a 165lt tank and about 10 (varying large to small) in a 4ft x 18inch wide tank successfully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As pps have said....goldfish are very very dirty fish. Just their nature. Personally I would get rid of the goldfish and just keep the other smaller ones and you will find your tank will probably stay cleaner for longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You just need a bigger tank I believe. Have a look on local buy swap sell pages, people are always selling 2nd hand tanks usually with a complete set up (filter and such) for sweet F all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips on keepings fish tank clean

What kind of filter do you have? And what's inside of it? 4 fish in 20l is pretty cramped I have a 400l tank and only 20 fish with a filter that turns the water over 12times per hour I do a 25% (100litre) water change weekly and vacuum the gravel while doing this. Also how much light is the tank getting natural and electric this contributes greatly to algae growth. Food wise you only need to put in as much as the size of each fishes eye anymore is too much and just creates more waste. An algae eater like a bristlenose catfish or Borneo sucker will help keep the tank clean too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please dont add any more fish to the tank you have. Your bio load on the tank is currently huge and adding to it will only compound the problem.

Is the water in your area hard or soft (or tank)? I ask this because I can never keep snails alive due to the water being too soft. There was not enough calcium and minerals to keep thier shells up properly so they died.

Goldfish are high waste producers and despite the fact that they start small. they have the potential to grow huge. If the size of the tank is stunting thier growth then chances are they are going to produce more waste than is good for your tank anyway. You also need to find out what sort of fish you have because if you dont know what you have, you dont know how much waste they produce etc. Can you post pics?

Next, what sort of filter do you have. How often do you wash it and how do you wash it. Filters should only ever be washed in the water you pull out of the tank during cleaning. If you wash the filter media under the tap with the chlorine then you kill all the beneficial bacteria and start your cycle over again. Also, some filters are just rubbish or it may just be too small for the ammount it has to clean.

When you clean your tank, never take out all of the water. You are better off replacing half the water a couple of times a week than you are doing a full change, plus its just easier. Also, wash your tank decorations etc in tank water before you discard it to keep the beneficial bacteria that grows on them too.

What sort of dirty are we talking about here? Is it algae? Is the tank looking cloudy? Or is it just looking really murky and poopy? To deal with algae, its mainly about the levels of light the tank gets. All my tanks are away from natural light sources and thier lights are on timers to only be on for max 8 hrs a day. If green algae is a problem then less light is needed. If its brown algae then a little more light may help. But you can scrub the wall of the tank without doing a water change if algae is your problem.
    If the water is cloudy that means that there is too much ammonia and not enough bacteria to cope with it. Google Nitrogen Cycle or Cycling a Tank and it will explain it.

Sorry for the novel I have written and all the questions, just trying to cover all bases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Tips on keepings fish tank clean

I agree with PPs about light. Any direct sunlight or bright light will cause algae to grow very fast.

I've been keeping my 2 fantail goldies happy in about 17l for several years now (before I learnt how to look after them properly I never realised how long goldfish are supposed to live for!!)

I have a basic filter that I run with the surface fitting ( the spout that sends the water out across the water surface). I wash out the filter sponge regularly with warm water, wipe the glass down with paper towel and empty out 1/3 of water and top up with fresh water then test the pH. about every 2 months I put the fish and about 1/3 of their water into a bowl and scrub the tank, fake pants and pebbles. I leave the filter dirty so it can distribute the good bacteria back into the fresh water when I refil.

Also make sure you don't use any detergents when cleaning. The fish hate it and it can accelerate algae growth.

After some float bladder issues I don't feed them every day since Dd usually feeds them and still struggles with the concept of a 'small' pinch

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub