+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,018
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

    Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I don't actually know if people do think this way but this is what I feel (might be my own insecurities)

    I'm a drop kick bludger Mum. That all I'm looking for is a way (or a guy) to get pregnant to again so I can live happily ever after (or for the next 8 years anyway) on the single parent pension.
    Oh no, people definitely have that attitude. I've heard such nonsense dribble out of the mouths of a fair few.
    Funny, the last 3 people i heard go on about it were all long term welfare recipients themselves. All on newstart.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,514
    Thanks
    5,910
    Thanked
    4,930
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

    I had an experience the other day that gave me a small glimpse of what you ladies deal with everyday.

    I hadn't changed my medicare details to my married name yet, so was still using Miss xxx maidenname. I was at the hospital because of my miscarriage and the nurse was treating me in an appalling manner, especially when she found out that I have a child already. We were going over my paperwork and she was confirming who my next of kin was and I told her he was my dh, her tone suddenly changed, she was sympathetic and went from telling me that my bub would have had something wrong with them (in a blunt way) to assuring me that it happens to so many of us and we'll hopefully be blessed with another bub soon. It was dusgusting!
    I feel so much empathy for any single mum that has to deal with jerks like this all the time

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    Izy  (29-01-2013),SimplyMum  (29-01-2013)

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    12,292
    Thanks
    1,571
    Thanked
    1,225
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

    Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

    It's quite depressing when confronted with the treasury isn't it red lips. I do Hope you're ok and have some support for your loss : hugs2:

    Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,514
    Thanks
    5,910
    Thanked
    4,930
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    It's quite depressing when confronted with the treasury isn't it red lips. I do Hope you're ok and have some support for your loss : hugs2:

    Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect
    It was atrocious! I have had great support, thank you

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    12,292
    Thanks
    1,571
    Thanked
    1,225
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

    Default Re: Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

    Treasury = reality dyac

    Please someone allow me access to a treasury!

    Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    63
    Reviews
    0

    Default Single Parents - what assumptions do people make about you?

    I'm not a single parent, never have been (often wondered about it though in a nice way!) but I often don't wear my wedding rings (massive stack of 3 these days) coz they make me get contact dermatitis so I let my finger 'breathe' to get better, and DH works away so I often go to things alone. I often get these looks and comments from strangers too! It breaks my heart a little bit how rude people can be! On top of society making mothers feel like failures I can't imagine why people need to add being a single parent to the insult list! It's a bloody great feat!

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,229
    Thanks
    1,515
    Thanked
    996
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I had an experience the other day that gave me a small glimpse of what you ladies deal with everyday.

    I hadn't changed my medicare details to my married name yet, so was still using Miss xxx maidenname. I was at the hospital because of my miscarriage and the nurse was treating me in an appalling manner, especially when she found out that I have a child already. We were going over my paperwork and she was confirming who my next of kin was and I told her he was my dh, her tone suddenly changed, she was sympathetic and went from telling me that my bub would have had something wrong with them (in a blunt way) to assuring me that it happens to so many of us and we'll hopefully be blessed with another bub soon. It was dusgusting!
    I feel so much empathy for any single mum that has to deal with jerks like this all the time


    Similar happened to me, when DH and I were not married. I had miscarried and was waiting for theatre to take me in, a nurse looked at me and said "What are you crying for? You will be back here in a few months time!"

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,705
    Thanks
    581
    Thanked
    647
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So many horrible stories I'm so sorry for anyone that had to be the recipient of such nasty looks and comments at a time that is so heartbreaking to begin with.

    I feel I'm just starting to get the worst of it now with DS being at school. The moment you let out "Oh, DS's father and I aren't together"- eye twitch one but your reputation can still be saved with a "yes, we still have a great relationship. DS adores his Dad and we still have family dinners and get togethers- we're like your typical white picket fence family in 2 houses". But no, it's "No, he has no contact with his father. Has never met his father and hopefully never will". Than, the silence. The step away slowly before I catch whatever it is she's got, and darling children- don't play with that child- he has no father.

    I'm just thankful that DS is quite academic, otherwise I fear there might be further ridicule that I don't care and don't put the time in.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanks
    1,903
    Thanked
    2,791
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I feel I'm just starting to get the worst of it now with DS being at school. The moment you let out "Oh, DS's father and I aren't together"- eye twitch one but your reputation can still be saved with a "yes, we still have a great relationship. DS adores his Dad and we still have family dinners and get togethers- we're like your typical white picket fence family in 2 houses". But no, it's "No, he has no contact with his father. Has never met his father and hopefully never will". Than, the silence. The step away slowly before I catch whatever it is she's got, and darling children- don't play with that child- he has no father.
    Oh man, that's terrible, particularly that they would not want their child to play with your DS!

    Luckily DD goes to school with the child of a well-known underworld crime figure, and the child of a disgraced sporting celebrity, so me being a single mum is of absolutely no concern to anyone, lol!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-12-2012, 07:02
  2. Social group for single parents to meet other single parents
    By singledad2768 in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-09-2012, 07:39
  3. Phi - Single Parents
    By Myztiks#1Fan in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31-05-2012, 20:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Innovations Sports PhysiotherapyWomen’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Daycare educator / teacher giftsGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Delightful DecemberConception & Fertility General Chat
Noble NovemberConception & Fertility General Chat
High Natural Killer Cells #10Reproductive Immunology
Hard to settle day and nightGeneral Sleeping & Settling Chat
Positive Ovulation Test 6+ days in a row???Conception & Fertility General Chat
Toenail fungusGeneral Health
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›