+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked
    112
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

    I am currently exclusively breastfeeding DD of 3 months and the original plan was to continue till she's 1 like I have done with DS. But DH and I are going away in July for 2 weeks. She will be 9 months then.
    I am not sure what to do. It would be very difficult to store 2 weeks worth of breast milk. And keeping the supply up will be very hard too, even if I pump every 3 hours it will still decrease dramatically.
    The other option is to give her formula, which means I will have to start giving her formula earlier so she will get use to it by the time we leave. Currently we try to give her expressed breast milk once a day in a bottle so she will get used to the bottle.
    I am not sure what to do, formula or try to store breast milk and keep supply up while away?

    What would you do?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,043
    Thanks
    1,422
    Thanked
    7,641
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

    Where are you going? Can you not feed her when you are away?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,370
    Thanks
    723
    Thanked
    962
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

    You could have 2 weeks worth of ebm, you just freeze it. But keeping up your supply is another story, I've always found it hard to express the same amounts that my boys used to drink directly from me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    594
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't worry about it now. Seriously. It's 6 months away. Some bubbas wean by 9 months. Others are down to 3 feeds a day. Mine were on 6 feeds a day at that point, but not all of them are.

    Taking formula from a bottle (or not) at 3 months doesn't mean it will be easy or hard at 9 months. You'll need to practice a lot closer to the time (eg. 2 months prior). I think you store EBM as possible before you go, but not in a hurry just before you go or you'll end up with mastitis from oversupply while you are away. I think you'll need to supplement with formula while you away, but at 9 months I don't see that as a big issue.

    You seem quite anxious about going away (I've read your other posts) and maybe you need to have a serious chat with dh about whether you actually go or not. I know you've probably paid for flights/etc, but he will need accom for himself, so maybe he could go alone instead and then you'd be a lot less stressed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,080
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked
    474
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Re: Should I continue to breastfeed?

    I would try to keep going for sure. At 9 months I think my DS1 was down to 3-4 feeds daily so hopefully it won't be that hard to build up the amount needed. Just express every couple of days and shove it in the freezer. You have six months to do it in. And I reckon you'd keep up your supply enough, it's only two weeks. You could bump it back up if it drops a little anyway with herbs etc when you get back.

    But that's just me. It really depends how much you want to do those few more months and if you can be bothered etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked
    112
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Where are you going? Can you not feed her when you are away?
    We are going to china on a business trip and won't be taking the kids

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,096
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked
    747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just try and see how it goes.

    I got a nasty infection after DD6 was born, and none of the BF safe meds could shift it, so at nine months old, I had to stop feeding for two weeks to take some antibiotics.

    After the two weeks my daughter was so happy to be allowed to feed again, and fed voraciously for one day, then was completely uninterested the following day and never fed again.

    I would just do your best and let bub decide. If bub keeps going after you return, then great. If not, then switch to formula.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

    ~Marigold~  (20-01-2013)

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked
    112
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Don't worry about it now. Seriously. It's 6 months away. Some bubbas wean by 9 months. Others are down to 3 feeds a day. Mine were on 6 feeds a day at that point, but not all of them are.

    Taking formula from a bottle (or not) at 3 months doesn't mean it will be easy or hard at 9 months. You'll need to practice a lot closer to the time (eg. 2 months prior). I think you store EBM as possible before you go, but not in a hurry just before you go or you'll end up with mastitis from oversupply while you are away. I think you'll need to supplement with formula while you away, but at 9 months I don't see that as a big issue.

    You seem quite anxious about going away (I've read your other posts) and maybe you need to have a serious chat with dh about whether you actually go or not. I know you've probably paid for flights/etc, but he will need accom for himself, so maybe he could go alone instead and then you'd be a lot less stressed.
    Lol yes I am very anxious about going away and leaving the kids. I am super protective, maybe over protective and generally worry a lot about everything! It was suppose to be one week and now it's 2 weeks!
    Unfortunately I have to go with him due to some business reasons
    And can't take the kids, I don't really want to take them actually, it polluted over there and it will be super hot and I don't want them to get sick then have to wait all day in a hospital packed with sick people. And also I have heard horror stories about people kidnapping kids on the streets, obviously it doesn't happen all the time but you see what I mean? I am pretty paranoid about everything
    Yes you are right probably too early to think about it.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked
    112
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I would try to keep going for sure. At 9 months I think my DS1 was down to 3-4 feeds daily so hopefully it won't be that hard to build up the amount needed. Just express every couple of days and shove it in the freezer. You have six months to do it in. And I reckon you'd keep up your supply enough, it's only two weeks. You could bump it back up if it drops a little anyway with herbs etc when you get back.

    But that's just me. It really depends how much you want to do those few more months and if you can be bothered etc.
    How long can you freeze breast milk for?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

    Ummm where in China are you going?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Should I continue to help this friend?
    By penniless in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30-06-2012, 08:30
  2. Should I continue?
    By stretch in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27-04-2012, 20:09
  3. How do I continue this nightmare?
    By mezzee in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18-03-2012, 05:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Prams and StrollersLooking to buy a pram or stroller? :: Viewer reviews of prams :: Pram Buyers ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Largest bassinets on market?Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Hey there!Introductions
Nub gender guess for fun !Second Trimester Chat
Happiness thread.General Chat
IUI QueryNon-IVF fertility assistance
HGC lelvels stressed please helpConception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›