+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does this sound 'normal' to you?

Definitely not the norm in the private hosp I have birth in (twice)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not normal in our public, not sure the even have a nursery for healthy babies and consent needs to be signed to use formula. I would say sounds like a private hospital thing. Publics are usually very on board for breast feeding. I had mine in a birth centre and was home in my own bed 4 hours after both births. Will b doing the same for thus bubba to. I couldn't stand the idea of being in the hospital overnight or longer.
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 25-01-2013 at 01:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by pink ribbon View Post
    What do you know about the North West Private in Brisbane that's where I'm going? Any tips for a first time mum to be??? I didn't register in time for antenatal classes and missed out... which Ive only just been informed when i called to ask about dates for classes. So I'm going in a bit blind sided.
    It's called Caesars palace. I know there are ppl that have had good v births there but the moniker still stands. There was a thread about it a while ago. Just search for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I just visited a friend that gave birth on the weekend. I'll start by saying she has a gorgeous, healthy DS which is all that matters in the end

However....I was quite surprised at some of the circumstances of her labour/birth and was curious to know if this is considered 'normal'. I'll summarise in points:-

- epi offered/accepted as soon as she arrived, without checking dialation to determine stage etc
    - at no point was dialation checked until 6hrs later when OB arrived
    - stated baby's h/rate had dropped 'a little' and suggested e/csection
    - still hadn't told her how dialated she was at this point, just 'not enough'
    - baby offered formula for first 2 nights just so mum could rest
    - baby automatically taken each night to nursery, only returned for feeds

My friend is perfectly happy as its her first bub and had no expectations anyway. But I just found these above points odd....is it just me? I'm of course comparing to my own experience so could be entirely off track, so was just curious!

I thought it was dangerous or detrimental to give an epi too early? I also don't believe his excuse for a c/s was adequate, considering there were no alarm bells about the h/rate before then. Then offering formula to a mum who had ample (read massive!) milk boobies with no issues b/f yet, as well as bub not rooming with mum - is all strange to me!

My friend accepted the formula offer because she assumed it was 'standard' so mums could get rest. She has since had a midwife say they probably gave her the epi too early aswell.

FYI - private hospital in Melb.
    Sounds like normal hospital procedures to me. If mothers don't know any better they will do what they want, how they want.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    It's called Caesars palace. I know there are ppl that have had good v births there but the moniker still stands. There was a thread about it a while ago. Just search for it.
    I think someone on bub hub made that up because everyone I have asked irl has never heard that term. Their csection rate is just as high as any private hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimeparents View Post
    Wow epworth Freemasons is where I birthed both my boys and had the complete opposite experience. Maybe it was a discussion between your friend and the midwives
    I birthed at Epworth Freemasons too and I didn't experience what your friend did, in fact the opposite. First night I asked if they could take DD1 into the nursery for a few hours so I could get some sleep (had not slept for 48hrs) and they did take her for about 5 hrs but during that time they brought her in for a feed. I was told in the morning that from here on in bubs would sleep in my room as "rooming in" is important.

All the midwives were very full on about breast feeding!! Too much in my view. DD1 was struggling to latch, I had no milk come in and they were very insistent about it. On the 4th night I was beside myself and asked if I should FF, and she wouldn't allow it a first. Finally at around 3am the midwife saw I was so upset, bubs couldn't stop crying (obviously hungry) and she reluctantly prepared a bottle. The next morning, the midwife I had on duty was quite "cross" at both of us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DairyfreeDiva View Post
    Perhaps her reasons for having a c section or choosing formula were personal and she didn't want to share them with you. I know after the birth of my first child I had so many people commenting and wanting to know the reason behind my c section. Quite frankly I didn't think it anyone's business and made up some stupid reason about high blood pressure or something which wasn't the truth.
    This- people are so quick to judge so I would just so oh the hospital did it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I think someone on bub hub made that up because everyone I have asked irl has never heard that term. Their csection rate is just as high as any private hospital.
    That's what it's known as by numerous staff of the surrounding public hospitals.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

At this hospital, when you exited the lift you walked straight past a massive glass wall with all these bubba's lined up - this was at 10.30am too. It was like the movies 20 years ago! But it was very cute looking at them all
    Oh I visited this hospital and the big glass nursery freaked me out and made me chose another hospital.

Don't ask me why, it just felt weird, very irrational

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Yes same for me.

Well a further update - just called to check on her as she's going home today. Asked about the b/f and everything is really good. She said the midwives have shown her several different positions and been very helpful and positive.

BUT she was still offered another night of f/f last night if she wanted a full nights sleep before going home?! Now as lovely and tempting as this sounds, I just don't get it myself.

Am I allowed to mention hospital? Mods please delete if not appropriate - it's Epworth Freemasons.
    That last update is the strangest bit yet of the whole story for me: so she's got breastfeeding under control but they gave her a night of formula feeds anyway? I would've thought that the last night in the hospital would've been a really good last opportunity for her to 'practice' breastfeeding whilst she still had midwives around to help her perfect her technique. Bizarre.

How is she going with everything now? Hope all is okay.