Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Opinion piece on single mothers/young mothers/mothers on welfare...

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...115-2crh2.html

Snippet of the article...

We can envisage a single parent running a good household in which their children flourish. If all single parents were like this, leaving them on the more generous parenting allowance would be good policy. A single parent who has to take work to survive will have a more complicated life, juggling home and work without the assistance of a partner.

But many single-parent households are not good places for children. The mothers are given to junk food, daytime TV and no-good boyfriends, who might develop designs on an adolescent daughter. The worst mothers are addicted to drugs and alcohol and under their influence neglect and abuse their children. Pru Goward, the New South Wales Family and Community Services minister, reported recently on cases in which babies had to be removed from their mother at birth to ensure they survived.

The number of reports of child abuse has grown enormously.

It is not often realised that these do not represent a wider spread of abuse. The same hardcore abusers are being reported again and again. Welfare is the economic underpinning of the regular abuse of children.
    Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The crimes of the few are being used to tar the many.

I think the line

"It is not often realised that these do not represent a wider spread of abuse. The same hardcore abusers are being reported again and again."

is very important, and disagree with the final statement

"Welfare is the economic underpinning of the regular abuse of children."

Abuse occurs in high income families as well - they just have the resources to hide it better.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Izy  (16-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This old chestnut. Sigh.
    I cant even be bothered defending myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    "Many" single-parent households? That's a definitive measure if ever I heard one... How about some actual statistics rather than a gross sterotype/generalisation.

The whole article is just horrible. I can't believe the conclusion:

The better course would be for the government to stop paying the single-parenting allowance to girls under 21 and fund non-government organisations to run hostels for girls who become pregnant and want to have their baby.
    Horribly paternalistic. Written by a man of course.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (16-01-2013),Boobycino  (16-01-2013),BornToBe  (16-01-2013),delirium  (17-01-2013),Ellewood  (16-01-2013),HarvestMoon  (16-01-2013),HugsBunny  (16-01-2013),Izy  (16-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (16-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (16-01-2013),WorkingClassMum  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I know, that sounds dreadful Shelle!

I had DD at 19. I lived with my mother. I didn't need to be turfed out to some shame house where other young mothers went... why would I when I had a loving home where my mother was there to assist me? She couldn't FINANCIALLY support us though... she was a single working mother herself (became a single mother when I was 14).

I loathe the part about single/young parents never really amounting to much and never being able to offer their child much either. Really? Because I don't think DD is suffering too badly. She may have been born to a 19-year-old mother, but she got ALL A's on her most recent report card, was a student councillor last year and doesn't miss out on anything.

I now work, DP (not her bio father) supports us well and she will likely have quite a decent future, financially and otherwise.

I understand that SOME young/single parents might be like this, but so are many partnered parents, and older parents. To say "MANY" when describing these cases... it means that he's likely painting ME with that brush, and it's just not true at all.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (16-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (16-01-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one word - *vomit*.

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews

Putting everyone into the same basket isn't on.

Sounds like these politicians are so far out of touch with the population they are using the age old stereotype and not getting proper statistics

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Opinion piece on single mothers/young mothers/mothers on welfare...

Although I'm not single, I had my daughter at 20 and the thought of possibly being placed in a hostel to raise my child is disgusting.
    The fact that the government wants to cut parenting payments proves that they don't open their eyes to the rest of the world. Take a look at America, for example, and their welfare system. It is screwed and they are setting up future generations to never be able to escape the cycle of poverty. We can't go down that path, instead we need to offer even more support for both single and partnered parents.

Very few parents, single or partnered, are doing the wrong thing. It is an insult to the many that are trying to make the most of their situation to automatically place them in the 'typical deadbeat' basket.

I'm concerned that this could mean mothers will resort to staying in less than ideal relationships, because the other option would be to live on a pittance.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 16-01-2013 at 10:55.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (16-01-2013),Izy  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Opinion piece on single mothers/young mothers/mothers on welfare...

Is that for real?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Argh crap like this makes me rage on the inside. I was a single mum for going on 15 years. Son 1, is just about to go overseas on a self funded working holiday, son 2 is just about to start uni, son 3 just about to start year 11. Reminds me once sitting around with friends when I guy who was discussing his nephew described him as ' a typical single mothers kid' I set him straight. Arghhh the stereotypes!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast