+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Missed misscarriages

How often is it that you see a heart beat approx an bub measuring 8 weeks. Then next scan there is an empty sac or you've had missed misscarriage?
    Does this happen without bleeding without cramping. Is there any sign at all that something is wrong?
    I've had two miscarriages both with bleeding and severe cramping so I am just wondering how this works, my mind is going crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI - I haven't had one but my understanding is that even though the baby has died your body still thinks you are pregnant and will continue to produce all the hormones and therefore symptoms. Which means that you effectively 'miss' the miscarriage. I think sometimes your body absorbs the baby and other times you need to have a D&C. I don't think they are that common - but every time I went to the doctor and he checked on the ultrasound that the baby was progressing I was stressed till he told me it was ok. My friend had a missed miscarriage so I was a bit more worried about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had a missed miscarriage. No HB from approx 6wk5d but my body didnt recognise it until around 10wks when I finally miscarried. Usually they won't let you wait that long due to risk of infection, but the doctors at the hospital were pretty hopeless and misinterpreted reports for the u/s tech. Usually they'll just book you in for D&C.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Thentherewere3 View Post
    How often is it that you see a heart beat approx an bub measuring 8 weeks. Then next scan there is an empty sac or you've had missed misscarriage?
    Does this happen without bleeding without cramping. Is there any sign at all that something is wrong?
    I've had two miscarriages both with bleeding and severe cramping so I am just wondering how this works, my mind is going crazy.
    Hi,

I had a 'missed miscarriage' at 9 weeks, baby had stopped developing at around 7 weeks but I had no symptom until 9 weeks when I started having cramps and bleeding.

Because it was 'missed' I still had all of the pregnancy symptoms since HCG was still being produced.

Many people find out, before that have any signs of a miscarriage, through ultrasound as you have said. My us in the emergency room at 9 weeks showed no HB and a misshapen sac, the doc actually pointed out to me the lining was 'swirling' as it was trying to shed.

Are you worried this is happening to you? If so, what makes you think that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

At 8 weeks in a healthy pregnancy you should definitely see a heartbeat.

I had a missed miscarriage in 2009. Went for my nt scan at 13 weeks to find the bub had not developed beyond 8 weeks. I had to have a d&c as my body was showing no signs of miacarrying naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had three missed mc. The first two, I didn't really have any symptoms. First one pucked up at 11 1/2 weeks measured 6+4, D&c 10 days later (started cramping and mild bleeding 4 days before d&c, developed major infection after). Seond one measured 6, passed naturally a few days later. The last one I had mild morning sickness, they were twins, no hb at 6 weeks, checked 10 days later, one had been re absorbed, no hb for the other still, had a d&c two days later. So, even in the one person, they were all very different.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for all the replies, TBH I didn't know a missed misscarraige even existed I honestly and naively thought that your body would try and expel the products of conception etc from when the bub became unviable and that your body would recognise this straight away. Both my miscarriages started from day 1 with severe cramping and bleeding both needing a d&c in the end. This pregnancy if had a scan that shows healthy bub at 8 weeks with a good heart beat but have cramping on and off quite a lot if I am sitting or walking around during the day. Pregnancy is turning me into a hypochondriac!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya

I just found a bit of info on the interwebs that may make you feel less freaked out... although I'm almost 11 weeks and still freaked out! I had a missed miscarriage before at around 8-9 weeks (saw the heartbeat at 6 weeks).

After heartbeat is detected, risk of miscarriage is 9.4% at 6wks; 4.2% at 7wks; 1.5% at 8wks; 0.5% at 9wks

https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/miscarriage-general

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two missed miscarriages.
    1st the baby stopped at 7weeks but I didn't start cramping etc until 9weeks and had a D&C at 10 weeks
    2nd heart bear detected by ultrasound at both 6 weeks and 8 weeks. By 10 weeks no heartbeat. Still measuring same size as 8weeks scan. D&C a few days later.

Just wanted to add. I'm sure you know but some cramping is normal during pregnancy. My 3rd pregnancy I had a lot of cramping early on a strong heartbeat at 11weeks and she's now 4 1/2 sitting here yelling at Suri on my phone!
    Last edited by mumoftwoprincess; 27-01-2013 at 12:58.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mumoftwoprincess For This Useful Post:

FlyLadyBug  (31-01-2013)