+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How early to start looking for new rental?

DH has a new job in an area we like much better so we will be moving closer to his work when our lease is up in 12 weeks. Prior to where we are now we owned our house (well the bank did lol) so I haven't had to do the rental thing much. We moved interstate last time and were on a deadline due to needing to be out of our house by settlement so it was all a bit different.
    My question is how far in advance do you start looking for another rental property? We have a cat, 1 child and one on the way on one middle income, so I fully expect that to get us turned down for a few properties. However the rent price we are looking at is cheaper than our current rent on a bigger income and we have never missed a payment so hoping that will look good for us. We want to try to find a really good place because we would prefer not to move anytime soon again if we can help it. The area we are looking at in west melbourne has about 50 properties in our price range available at a time. I don't want to leave it too late obviously but I don't want to waste our time either when we are not prepared to move until closer to the end of our lease and have applications turned down because they want someone in now. How much do your leases usually overlap by? I assume we will need at least a two week overlap, one weekend to move everything and one to clean the property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Owners in Qld have to give 2 months notice if they don't want to renew the lease, so I would say that's the minimum ( however in my experience they don't usually advertise until sooner).
    I would keep an eye on the market now, maybe email a few agents with properties that suit your needs and ask if they know of any similar properties coming up by this date

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Last house we rented we found the house 2 months before our lease ended!
    The LL held it for a month for us and we had to pay 2 rents for a month bit was the perfect house for us and we didn't want to let it go, that's why we applied.

It really depends on when you can actually afford to move. I wouldn't leave it any less then 6 weeks to start looking.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Like waterlily said, it depends on the house. I'd start looking now tbh. I've had to move before with only 4 weeks notice (it was via court order) and it was SOOOOO hectic!!! I only just got a place, so I would definitely start looking now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I usually try to overlap the leases by a couple of weeks. Move it out the first week, second week to clean.

I guess start looking a month or so before it's time to move unless you are prepared to pay rent on both properties for a bit longer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm torn between spending money from our savings ( which is quickly draining with having baby purchases and everything keeps blowing up on us) and wanting to move ASAP before I get too big and grumpy. By the end of our lease I will be 33weeks pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    I'm torn between spending money from our savings ( which is quickly draining with having baby purchases and everything keeps blowing up on us) and wanting to move ASAP before I get too big and grumpy. By the end of our lease I will be 33weeks pregnant.
    You don't want the stress of moving at the end of pregnancy. It'll frustrate you no end that you can't do anything and are relegated to watching.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Like waterlily said, it depends on the house. I'd start looking now tbh. I've had to move before with only 4 weeks notice (it was via court order) and it was SOOOOO hectic!!! I only just got a place, so I would definitely start looking now.
    When we moved here It was a Canberra to melbourne move and we had 30days from the signing of the sale of our house to be out of it. Our choice of houses was pretty limited as we only had two trips to Melbourne to view houses, with each trip costing about $800-1000 in fuel and accommodation, food etc. it was awful!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    exactly! It was a 3 hour round trip for me to look at places and it sucked so bad.

Start looking now. Then you get a good idea of what's available in your price range and circumstances.