+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *Spin Off* - what do you fill up your day doing?

I know that I may be taking my life in my hands starting this topic but here goes anyway.

I was reading the topic about being a SAHM and not wanting to return to work outside the home and it got me wondering what a SAHM fills her day up with. I am genuine in my question, this is not a poor attempt to cause a heated debate.

I ask, because I work part time and have 4 days at home (including the weekend) and I find that most of the two work days are free time to do as I wish with my 4 year old son.

I find that it takes 3 hours to do a major clean of the house (it is a big house including 3 bathrooms) once a week, including a few loads of washing. I also iron on one of my days off so that is another couple of hours.

The other days we will tidy or do clothes washing here or there of course but on one of my days off is where the major clean gets done.

This is it - housework done in a matter of 3 hours, my son gets attention and we play but he does like to play alone for most of the time so I am left with heaps of time on my hands. We go out ocassionally but not often on the weekdays, if we do it will be a playdate/shopping/park. All bills etc are paid online so there are not many errands to ever attend to.

I do think that being a SAHM is an important role to many women and I do not want to belittle it in anyway, but I often find myself wondering why people say it is as hard as having a fulltime job outside the house because I personally have never found this to be the case.

(being completely open about my situation I have a DH who is very hands on and we share the roles when we are both home -though I still do more of the general housework simply because I think I should when I am home two weekdays per week. Obviously my view on this topic comes from this position which may be different from other women).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Stretched (13-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Between Dr Phil, Days of Our Lives and The View, you find your day fills up fast

4. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

angelini (14-01-2013),atomicmama (13-01-2013),BabyG4 (13-01-2013),Boobycino (13-01-2013),FindMyLunch (14-01-2013),gizmoduckus (14-01-2013),Gothel (13-01-2013),jagamoe (13-01-2013),LlamaMa (14-01-2013),LoCo (13-01-2013),Luna Lovegood (14-01-2013),madreader (14-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx (15-01-2013),meljemillie (15-01-2013),moosey (14-01-2013),MummysYellowCar (15-01-2013),rlpreston (13-01-2013),TableDancer (13-01-2013),ToonZie (13-01-2013),youmake3 (13-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I work the same as you (3 days work, 4 days off)

I think that being a SAHM is just as hard of a job because it is so full on. No breaks, no pay and dealing with harder jobs!

I enjoy my job and while I do miss my son it is nice to earn my own money, talk to adults and actually get a lunch break without a little one eying off my food!

Sorry op doesn't really answer you're question though!

ETA: I do more cleaning after before and after work then on the days I don't work, I just lack the motivation.
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 13-01-2013 at 21:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I meet a lot of people for coffee! Which DS enjoys luckily. But I have a fair amount of down time in the day too and have been known to watch an episode of Revenge now and again!

We did weekly gymbaroo and mothers group for some time but thts finished for the time being. I also try and walk for an hour each day with the pram.

We have a small 2 bed house so tidying and cleaning doesn't take long. We outsource the ironing.

I prep dinner and do DS' bedtime routine on my own as DH gets home later. I then generally make dinner although DH will do it occasionally.

I am looking forward to going back to work 3 days a week!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How many kids do you have OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I am similar to you OP but find it easy as I also only have 1 child (2 year old) - other mummies with 2 or more I have no idea how they do it! I have a cleaner that does a big clean every week as well

A typical day we are up and out of the house usually by 9.30 ,( I ways make sure kitchen is clean before I go and quickly make up beds - takes ten minutes) we either go on play dates or the park, the shopping centre, grocery shopping, errands, visit nan and poppy or my SIL or DH at work , we usually stay out for lunch and are home by 1.30 as he naps from about 2-4 , I do washing/tidy up during this time then when he wakes up we play outside for a bit then he watches play school while I get dinner ready - ( i do have a B&B break at 4.30!)
    I cook everything so I can sometimes spend a couple of hours in the kitchen preparing meals/baking etc
    While I get dinner he plays in his toy room or outside until DH gets home, we have dinner together, DH plays with him, does bath and bed and I clean the house then ( quick mop or vacuum , clean kitchen and play room etc) then by 9pm DH and I relax and watch tv!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I don't do any major cleaning, as we have a cleaner that comes a couple of times a week.

A lot of my time with DD is spent out of the house.

Every week she goes to different activities - playgroup, gymnastics, swimming, dancing, etc. I meet with friends (who all have children the same age as her) and we go for walks, meet up, do lunches/ coffee, and do play dates at our houses.

DH has one day off a week to spend with her, and he takes her on 'daddy daughter dates' - often going to his family, or swimming. Sometimes I come too, and sometimes not.

If we're home then she plays - painting, trampolining, toys, etc. Usually that's fairly independent play, but sometimes I play with her too.

Apart from that it's exciting things like grocery shopping/ general shopping, and then random things - like meeting up with family, and doing odd days out.

I'm lucky in that I have a lot of friends with kids the same age, and also family close by. So we spend a lot of time with all of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: *Spin Off* - what do you fill up your day doing?

I think it all depends how many kids you have, what life you lead, how many extra curricular activities the children do and if they have special needs or not.

I'm a Mum of one but am still busy... Thats because my son has Aspergers and associated therapies that goes with that (alot done at home by me), swimming twice a week, I take my own Mum shopping and on outings, this year I plan on volunteering with my son's school, shopping, cleaning, errands, and a couple play dates.. That fills my time right up

Thanks
    Reviews

My days off as a mum-to-be:
    (Disclaimer: this is only so pathetic because I have had no energy since becoming pregnant and have like 3hours a day of feeling like a normal human being lol)

* Sleep in until DH brings me toast & juice in bed (spoiled)
    * Sit on back verandah and have a coffee
    * garden fiddling
    * shower
    * nap
    * Some tidying
    * Go see mum
    * find things with which to procrastinate housework
    * Organise dinner for self ( DH is a chef and works late).
    * laundry or other dull time wasting activity
    * spend time with DH chatting for a bit when he gets home
    * bed as I remind myself to ENJOY IT WHILE I CAN!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My house needs cleaning EVERY DAY, my baby has ALL my attention most of the day, which is hard work! My only 'lunch break' is when he has his nap. Having to stimulate and play/teach all day everyday is exhausting.

Wouldn't have it any other way xx

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jenrose For This Useful Post:

Boobycino (14-01-2013),Crazyfamily (14-01-2013),Kiplusthree (15-01-2013),LoCo (14-01-2013),mummakat (13-01-2013),SoThisIsLove (14-01-2013)