+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think there's anything wrong with "unusual" names so to speak. I'm fine with names from other cultures, words that aren't names etc. but not a fan of completely made up names. A pretty sound is not a name in my opinion.

Neekie I remember the thread about your daughters name. In the spinoff thread I said that Addison has the same issue. The only difference is that Addison is a popular name. I'm glad you went with what you loved
    Last edited by darla87; 10-01-2013 at 23:56.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post

I can't believe someone would call their kid zero? Zero?!?
    Yep Zero. I still can't believe she did it. She is pregnant again so we are guessing he will be called Ten

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with "unusual" names so to speak. I'm fine with names from other cultures, words that aren't names etc. but not a fan of completely made up names. A pretty sound is not a name in my opinion.

Neekie I remember the thread about your daughters name. In the spinoff thread I said that Addison has the same issue. The only difference is that Addison is a popular name. I'm glad you went with what you loved
    Now I'm very intrigued because we like Addison! What's wrong with it??!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Here Kitty View Post
    Now I'm very intrigued because we like Addison! What's wrong with it??!
    Nothing at all. I think it's a lovely name, I like all the "Addy" names actually

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Addison is a disease. As is harlequin. But Addison's isn't terminal and with treatment sufferers usually live a normal life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I don't think unusual names are cruel but parents should definitely consider what a child may think of the name later in life.

Pet hate- people who name kids after cars or alcohol.

I personally like names people know but aren't in the top 100 of common names
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 10-01-2013 at 23:59.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (15-01-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

In all honesty I have looked after at day care identical twins called Big Dragon and Little Dragon. Seriously.

I've given my children boring common names because I hate how I have to constantly spell mine. People assume it's spelt the same way as a famous actor and I have to correct them every time. Dam mum wanting to be a little bit different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shhhsleeping View Post
    Yep Zero. I still can't believe she did it. She is pregnant again so we are guessing he will be called Ten
    Perhaps Seven, like Seinfeld

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winterbaby For This Useful Post:

delirium  (11-01-2013),Funchu  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Addison is a disease. As is harlequin. But Addison's isn't terminal and with treatment sufferers usually live a normal life.
    Oh wow I had no idea. Thank you for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    My name is not unusual, but being born outside Aus, it is spelled the traditional way for my country of birth.

I have to spell it every single time, and my married surname is also a toughie so I just spell both names out now automatically. And often multiple times just because it is different and I think people's fingers automatically jump to the PH and the IE key stroke combos. The number of times I have to send back applications for banks/insurance etc and prove my name is spelled that way (because the person over the phone simply mis-interpretted my spelling it out), at school having certificates re-printed because someone assumed someone else filled the forms out wrong, so many things argh!!

And then I get the "oh yes, you were just trying to be different" comments. Actually I was only just born, I had no say, it's traditional for where I came from.

While it's lovely to be named after my great grandfather (female version of) and would have worked in country of birth easy peasy, it drives me bonkers. I can only imagine what an even more unique name would be like. I would not wish it on anyone, a unique name is totally fine in my mind as long as it's the normal obvious spelling. I cant wait to give our kid a traditional name with straight up obvious spelling.