+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default postnatal depression mothers support group

Hi to all you mums that suffer with postnatal depression. I to suffer with it. My name is Melissa and i have 2 children i had antinalal depression when i was pregnant with my second child and when she was 8 months i was finally diagnosed with postnatal depression. There is no support for us, PND is a silent epidemic affecting so many mums so i thought why not try and find a support group , but to no avail there are no PND support groups that i have found. So i was thinking of starting my own . A group of mums to meet, chat and help each other out in good times and bad , i live in Newcastle so if anyone is interested please reply to me either on Bubhub or my email is "mmillses@aapt.net.au" hope to here from anyone interested

Melissa

up in the sky so high zoom zoom zooma zoom zoom
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds like a really good idea! i would love to but i'm in brisbane maybe we could start one up here. Hope t all goes well for u and i was just diagnosed a few days ago but i know how it feels to have noone understand i had only just worked up the courage to go see the doc ofter 18months of hell. Hope u feel ok 2day!
    Shari

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found that here in Sydney too. No support groups for PND sufferers. You are told to get counselling but for many it is just too expensive. I might look into starting one here.
    I have had PND with both my kids and have now as of yesterday had to up my meds. Hopefully it will help.
    I think it is a great idea 2xmummy. It would help lots of women.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It might be worth checking out the Beyond Blue website Beyondblue.org.au they have a newish section on postnatal depression and a bunch of links to services and help/ information lines which includes some support groups and national bodies with state or localised support groups. Also some pretty good information on the site All the best
    Last edited by Reidymac; 03-11-2006 at 22:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This forum and the lovely members here have become my depression support group!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Me too Martha I really would have been lost without Bubhub.

As terrible as it sounds, it's actually very reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one to feel the way I have.

I'm in Queensland so I can't really help with a local support group but I'm more than willing to be a part of a "virtual" support group

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bub Hub is invaluable for support!

I have suffered from both ante-natal depression and now PND. I'm currently in a mother-baby live-in unit in order to get help. I have been very lucky to gain access to this service and the follow-up services that the unit provides - from all reports, Victoria is the place to be if you have PND!

It would be great to have a virtual group as well though although my posting will be a little sporadic for the next few weeks until I leave hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i dont know of any in my area (brisbane) but i did find this for anyone in townsville.
    http://www.nqpostnataldistress.com/
    i think we really need to do something to make sure there is more support for PND sufferers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Melissa,

I am very sorry to hear that you are going through it.

I suffered Post Natal Depression as well while i was on maternity leave. I had it for 2.5 months 4 months after my twins were born, i just felt tired and always had negative thoughts. On the outside no one knew i had it i was able to mask it really well.

I contacted PANDA - Post and Antenatal Depression Association. They are in Victoria. There website is http://www.panda.org.au. Contact them and they should be able to give you a contact of a support group in your state.

I was told that PND can come from sleep deprivation, and since i have got twins i felt that she was spot on.

When i spoke to Panda the women was great, i spoke to her for 1 hour and she really understood what i was thinking. After i spoke to her i felt a huge load off my shoulders. She also sent me a information pack about post natal depression.

My PND did go away as i started writing in my journal and admitting it to my loved ones that i had it. Doing that made me feel so much better because i actually got great support for loved ones.

Now i am back at work full time and really enjoying the balance.

I didnt go on medication but i did get though it.

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

For anyone else who has been reading this thread i am also here for you as well.

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to bub hub

I am new to bub hub so hello to everyone out there.

I am a mum of 2 - one is 3 and the other is 3 mths.

I feel frustrated, anxious and down and don't really know if I'm depressed or not. I have a big family, however I don't have a lot of family support which gets me down quite a bit. My husband is fantastic but I feel I resent him for a lot of reasons and take a lot of things out on him when I shouldn't.

I can't talk to my family as it only ends ugly - I really feel on the outer which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me??

Quote Originally Posted by mylittletwins View Post
    Hi Melissa,

I am very sorry to hear that you are going through it.

I suffered Post Natal Depression as well while i was on maternity leave. I had it for 2.5 months 4 months after my twins were born, i just felt tired and always had negative thoughts. On the outside no one knew i had it i was able to mask it really well.

I contacted PANDA - Post and Antenatal Depression Association. They are in Victoria. There website is http://www.panda.org.au. Contact them and they should be able to give you a contact of a support group in your state.

I was told that PND can come from sleep deprivation, and since i have got twins i felt that she was spot on.

When i spoke to Panda the women was great, i spoke to her for 1 hour and she really understood what i was thinking. After i spoke to her i felt a huge load off my shoulders. She also sent me a information pack about post natal depression.

My PND did go away as i started writing in my journal and admitting it to my loved ones that i had it. Doing that made me feel so much better because i actually got great support for loved ones.

Now i am back at work full time and really enjoying the balance.

I didnt go on medication but i did get though it.

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

For anyone else who has been reading this thread i am also here for you as well.

All the best