+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are still young ( DS 2.5 and and DD 7 months), and we are giving our kids one present from us and DS will get one present from Santa. For DS we are spending a total of $80 on both presents and DD we will be spending a maximum of $50.

My personal preference is that my kids are brought up to understand what Christmas is actually about and for us it is not about getting a heap of gifts.

But going back to the question about how many toys is too many.....if we were spending hundreds of dollars on their Christmas presents and then finances are tight for the rest of the year then they got too many toys.

Our kids will also be getting a heap of presents from aunts, uncles and grandparents .....and our house is already jam packed full of toys, so I think what we are giving them is sufficient.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How many toys are too many toys?

My girls are 4 and 2 i have bought them 5 presents each and 4 to share they have a scooter each and the crafts sets etc the games like marble racer and bubble machine it all cost bout 150 i went for equal quantity and no rubbish toys

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Bugs Mummy For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (16-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

DS is getting Rex from Santa and a train set from us.

In his stocking will be floaties, a few books, new undies & socks.

I think it gets to be too many if it makes you stress about your finances or if they are bored before they even finish opening them.

I know DS will be getting plenty of presents from family as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are getting about 12 things each, no big ticket items they dont really need anything big tickety as they already have xbox, wii, bikes, scooters etc etc so the older ones (primary age) are getting....

Legos
    Activity books
    Books
    Art stuff
    Make and paint wooden planes
    Other Knick knacks
    Clothes and PJs
    Xbox game each

Youngest boy 4yo is getting
    Some Octonaut teddys and toys
    Books
    Art stuff
    Clothes and PJs
    Water pistol
    Dress ups
    Bubbles

All kids are getting food related stocking stuffers like chocolates, lollypops, chips, small cans of lemonade etc

I probably spend around $200 on each kid, the legos are expensive and even the little things add up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Personally if you can count them on more than 2 hands there's too many. That's just us though. We have an only child and there's nothing worse than a SPOILT only child!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well only 2 here - a ghd hair straitener and the latest iPod. So not spoilt by present count!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I can't remember what my kids are getting, I finished shopping too long ago lol

Their main presents are a Nintendo DS each and a remote control car each

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many toys are too many toys?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    My son was only born in October so not really an issue this year, but my husband and I have decided to limit gifts in general, partly because we have a relatively small, very full house, and partly because I am a teacher and have been horrified by the level of entitlement/materialism I have seen in many kids.

I saw a neat little poem, 'something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read' which we will be following for Christmas and birthdays. I was horribly spoiled as a child, and it took me a long time to get over that as an adult. My only challenge will be getting DS' grandparents to respect our wishes!
    My sentiments exactly. I was going to quote the same little poem too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The xmas before last when DD was she looked up at me and said ' no more presents Mummy'. We had to open the rest the next day...that was a bit of a wake up call! I used to wrap up everything and give it as a present now they get less - although i think I still go overboard a bit! It's those damn xmas toy laybys!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We don't buy toys throughout the year, so we sort of 'save up' what DS shows interest in and get it all for Xmas/birthday.

He's getting:

From Santa:

Under the tree:
    A telescope

In his stocking:
    An Octonauts DVD
    2 Octonauts figurines
    Cars pj's
    2 Cars figurines
    Spiderman figurine

Then from us:

Sand and water play table
    A medical kit
    Fairy wings and wand
    A book

To me, that's waaay too much. I would be happier with one toy and one book from us, and half of that stuff in his stocking (there was about 4 other things going in his stocking and i made DP take them out and put them away for his b'day)

I know for sure that half that stuff won't get touched because he'll have far too much new stuff. So as soon as it's opened I'm putting half of it away to come out once he's bored of the other stuff.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub