+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re-usable breast pads?

Hi all

Well after going through two sets of breastpads last night because LO missed a feed and slept 9 hours then went back to bed and is still there sound asleep and they are now full again I am wondering about reusable pads.

Hubby has been getting the disposable ones for me from his work and said they are about $6 for the pack which has 12 sets in them. Since breastfeeding is going well for DS and I, I will continue to do so for awhile yet (I don't have a goal for how long which I think is why I am coping so well as I don't have the added pressure of needing to make it to a certain time - this is important for me as I suffer from anxiety) I am thinking reusable may be better option.

So my questions are:

1. What do I do with them, do I just chuck them in the machine with the other clothes?
    2. Which ones are the best?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

I have used them and found them great! Much more absorbent and obviously works out a lot cheaper in the long run (and better for the environment).

Mine came with a little wash bag (similar to a lingerie wash bag but smaller) so you just throw them in this and they can go through a normal wash in the machine.

I cannot for the life of me remember what brand they are. Just ones from Target or something so a 'known' brand but they work well.

I think a lot of the companies that make cloth nappies also make breast pads so you could look at those too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Re-usable breast pads?

If you know basics of sewing (or know someone that does), have a go at making them it works out ridiculously cheap and it's also something that you can then make as a gift for a mum-to-be

Thanks
    Reviews

I used these organic cotton ones from baby bunting but can't remember what the brand was called. You could go have. Look at their range. I wore them at home mainly and used disposable when out and about in case I needed to change them. Would just throw the in the wash with everything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    Hi all

Well after going through two sets of breastpads last night because LO missed a feed and slept 9 hours then went back to bed and is still there sound asleep and they are now full again I am wondering about reusable pads.

Hubby has been getting the disposable ones for me from his work and said they are about $6 for the pack which has 12 sets in them. Since breastfeeding is going well for DS and I, I will continue to do so for awhile yet (I don't have a goal for how long which I think is why I am coping so well as I don't have the added pressure of needing to make it to a certain time - this is important for me as I suffer from anxiety) I am thinking reusable may be better option.

So my questions are:

1. What do I do with them, do I just chuck them in the machine with the other clothes?
    2. Which ones are the best?

TIA
    Honestly, I have about 6 different brand, some PUL backed, some not, some cotton, some bamboo.....they're all much of a muchness. My least fave are Bras N Things. The rest are all on par (and I can't remember the brands!).

I wash them with nappies or, if with clothes, without fabric softener.

I used disposables with DS1 and wish I had bought washable. Using them with DS2 has been easier and cheaper. And they stay in place so much better, no bunching up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, just throw them in the wash in a lingerie bag. I think the ones mentioned by summastarlet above are probably Avent brand which I also purchased from target a while ago and am happy with.

I do find though that while cloth re-usable breast pads are fine most of the time there are times for me when they just don't cut it. For example if bub has slept a much longer stretch at night and I'm engorged I will leak through a cloth pad and end up with bra and shirt soaked. Same if the opposite breast leaks during a strong letdown while I'm feeding. So I tend to use re-useable for at home only. For me I also find the disposable to be more discreet under my more fitted clothes. I hate buying Coles brand stuff but I actually find their disposable breast pads the best for me and cheaper as well.

In short, I'd get a few sets of washable pads but have a small supply of disposables as well. That said, I've just done a quick google and from some cloth nappy websites you can now buy washable breast pads that have a waterproof PUL backing which I'd imagine would eliminate the soaking through to clothes problems I've had!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Yes, just throw them in the wash in a lingerie bag. I think the ones mentioned by summastarlet above are probably Avent brand which I also purchased from target a while ago and am happy with.

I do find though that while cloth re-usable breast pads are fine most of the time there are times for me when they just don't cut it. For example if bub has slept a much longer stretch at night and I'm engorged I will leak through a cloth pad and end up with bra and shirt soaked. Same if the opposite breast leaks during a strong letdown while I'm feeding. So I tend to use re-useable for at home only. For me I also find the disposable to be more discreet under my more fitted clothes. I hate buying Coles brand stuff but I actually find their disposable breast pads the best for me and cheaper as well.

In short, I'd get a few sets of washable pads but have a small supply of disposables as well. That said, I've just done a quick google and from some cloth nappy websites you can now buy washable breast pads that have a waterproof PUL backing which I'd imagine would eliminate the soaking through to clothes problems I've had!
    Yep. I wear PUL backed overnight and non PUL backed during the day (cotton only in the afternoon when my supply has dropped a bit).