+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cord around baby neck

Yep - as I said 3 out of my 4 kids had a cord loop and for 2 of them it didn't matter at all.

My son had 3 very tight loops which is a complication that occurs in less than .02% of deliveries and even rarer for it to cause fetal distress.

As it happens he went into distress which was picked up by monitoring and delivered by c - section.

I think it's flirting with medical negligence to suggest a surgical delivery in the OP's circumstances.

The cord loop may be gone by the time you go into labour. And in the incredibly remote chance that it causes a problem for your baby, this will be detected and a c section called for.

Thanks
    Reviews

Chew the Mintie, we don't know anything about the OPs medical status or the specific reason why a CS was recommended ie we don't know the details of the cord status nor any other factors. Again, the only person that should be advising Meshell is someone with ALL the facts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wishmeluck For This Useful Post:

Loulou76  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

That's right, so we advise given on the facts in the OP

Thanks
    Reviews

Good luck OP.

I was very anxious about this when I had my daughter after my son who did have distress caused by 3 cord loops.

I asked that she be checked for a cord loop while I was pregnant.

I was told that it wouldn't help because even if she did have a loop it could be gone the next week and there would be no reason anyway to assume it would cause a problem (without other factors)

As it turned out she did end up having a quite tight cord loop but it was just unlooped after her head was born and her heart rate was never affected.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes that's why I asked if it was a GP - they really aren't experts and can be known to give some very bizarre advice lol so I would go by what the hospital says. There will be obstetricians at the hospital to be consulted should a problem be suspected or arise.

Thanks
    Reviews

Seriously... Csection is not the end of the world, if that's what you want/have been told to do then you'll be just fine! Sure recovery is a little longer and you'll have the scar but I had a csection and we were fine, breastfeeding without issues baby is healthy and well rounded.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm another who's had both babies vaginally and both with cords around the neck. I was also born with the cord around my neck. To just say "the cord is around the neck therefore you need a c-sect" is not good enough. Ask on what grounds he/she is basing this information on as cords around necks are very common.
    Some reading for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuchal_cord

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of the day having this little miracle baby born safely is the #1 goal.
    I remember when you were waiting to find out if it was a BFP and here you are with a baby nearly here!
    Awesome!

xoxo
    Fortitude

Thanks
    Reviews

My little man is a week old now and his cord was around his neck. Apparently it happens 1in3 or something. I had a vaginal birth and we didn't actually know until his heart rate plummeted after each contraction due to the cord being compressed as his body was being pushed down. He ended up being vacuumed out as when I started pushing the dropping heart rate got worse. If I hadn't been fully dilated when I was I would have had to have an emergency csection.
    It did make the birth stressful and a bit scary. He had an Apgar score of 7 as he was so stunned when he came out it scared me so much. Took him a bit to cry but once he did it was such a relief.
    U do what ur comfortable with. My little man is perfectly fine now but yeah the birth was very stressful hearing his heart rate plummet like it did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meshell it's actually very common for the heartrate to drop during the pushing stage, and when this happens it might have nothing to do with a cord, but just due to the compression of the contraction. It's usually not a problem - it's like holding your breath for a few seconds every 5 minutes - and the baby is on its way out at that point. If it went on for a prolonged period of time you'd be geting more worried but it's not unusual at all.