+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Am I ripping off my babysitter?

I wouldn't say you are ripping her off as she is an adult and knew what the deal was.

But I'd be very thankful to her and buy her a nice Christmas gift!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I ripping off my babysitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    I've heard of cash recipients getting greedy and demanding minimum wage ( forgetting cash is undeclared therefore no tax, no impact on centerlink etc ) and the boss being forced to pay back the difference. Personally if I'm getting cash I look at the minimum then take 30% off ( for tax)
    I don't think someone earning $200 per week would get taxed 30%.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-12-2012),Boobycino  (10-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (11-12-2012)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shhhsleeping View Post
    I don't think you are ripping her off. $75 a day cash in hand to look after your kids is good. She isn't a qualified nanny or child care worker, it isn't a career, it's helping you and it's extra money in her pocket. Maybe give her a Christmas bonus if you feel bad. But I think $150- is fine. It's more then I pay my 18 year old babysitter.
    I agree with this ..

she isn't paying tax (I assume?) so meh ..

I would consider anything around $10 an hour to be fair .. she isn't expected to cook/ clean .. all she has to do is chill out with the kids??

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shhhsleeping View Post
    I don't think you are ripping her off. $75 a day cash in hand to look after your kids is good. She isn't a qualified nanny or child care worker, it isn't a career, it's helping you and it's extra money in her pocket. Maybe give her a Christmas bonus if you feel bad. But I think $150- is fine. It's more then I pay my 18 year old babysitter.
    I agree with this ..

she isn't paying tax (I assume?) so meh ..

I would consider anything around $10 an hour to be fair .. she isn't expected to cook/ clean .. all she has to do is chill out with the kids??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I don't think someone earning $200 per week would get taxed 30%.
    Combined with other income it could push her close to higher brackets ( was going off if I was doing a cashy) . big assumption here but if she is on benefits it may just be enough to cut extras like pharmacy etc

Op have you looked at long day care options? For $100 per day ( after rebates) you may find some good centers?

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Op have you looked at long day care options? For $100 per day ( after rebates) you may find some good centers?
    I start work before centres open and before family daycare providers will take my children

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    Yep she reads, knits and watches the midday movie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use a rule of thumb of cash-in-hand being worth about double compared to on-the-books money. So I would see $150 cash being worth about $300 on-the-books.

I remember a situation where a potential immigrant was being paid cash-in-hand by a business. The recipient needed official employment to apply for a permanent residence visa. However, when he requested of his boss to change his $20kpa cash to $20kpa on-the-books for this purpose, the businessman said he couldn't do that, because it would cost him about $45kpa to pay someone $20kpa.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 11-12-2012 at 08:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I use a rule of thumb of cash-in-hand being worth about double compared to on-the-books money. So I would see $150 cash being worth about $300 on-the-books.
    I agree. I think it's pretty good for cash in hand work. She knew the pay rate before accepting the job. If you can afford the $200 and think she is worth it is absolutely pay it. Kids get harder the older they get too.

I'd be happy with that amount for a permanent cash in hand job!

Thanks
    Reviews

I used to be an after school nanny for 2 school age kids about 8 years ago. I was 20 at the time an I got $10 an hour (untaxed which I wouldn't do now but I was young). I'd sometimes have to stay for three days in which cases I got paid $500 plus transport and entertainment expenses. The only difference was that I started dinner and took the kids to swimming once a week.

I would raise her pay to $200.