+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default MMR vaccinations and TCC

Hi all,

I have been ttc for 3 months now and have just finished AF, so about to commence charting etc.

I had a blood test 2 weeks ago, which my GP had only today told me that it showed everything was fine except that my Rubella protection was low.

My GP told me that I would need to get the MMR vaccination either prior to conceiving or after birth, however there would be a chance of me getting rubella (extremely unlikely) but if I did then nothing but bad things can happen to your baby from eye sight, heart problems, brain problems and hearing problems.

My GP also told me that if I have the MMR vaccination now, I cannot ttc for 4 weeks! So have to wait until after this cycle, so January.

I asked my GP what would happen if I did fall pregnant and she basically said she didn't know by saying "there are no studies done on that"!!! Which I thought was strange because there's clearly got to be a reason as to why you shouldn't fall pregnant if they're warning you not to for 4 weeks after the shot! I asked her that and she basically dismissed my question!

I've tried googling but can't really find anything, most topics come up relating to what happens to a baby if they get rubella, but nothing about why you can't conceive within the 4 weeks and what would actually happen if you did.

Anyone have any knowledge, experience, ideas, comments etc?

Kel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My doctor told me when I had my MMR needle not to fall pregnant within 3 months. That seemed like a lifetime. Some vaccinations they inject you with live viruses, not sure if that one is one of them. I read that if you happened to get the vaccination without knowing you were pregnant, not to worry but to advise your doctor of the fact. I waited the 3 months because I wasn't sure what it would do to the baby if I didn't, and didn't want to risk it. I think my doctor was being extremely cautious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: MMR vaccinations and TCC

Lilsmurfy my friend spoke to her doctor about TTC and was also told to wait 3 months. In fact everyone I know who's had to have the mmr boooster was told to wait 3 months.

Op I'd probably just wait. I know it seems like ages bit wouldn't it be better to wait than to find out for yourself why they tell you to wait?

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Absolutely, I got the shot and am waiting until my next cycle to start again, so the 4 weeks :-)

Apparently there are newer studies in the UK and US now to say its safe after 4 weeks rather than the old school 3 month period :-)

I guess it's more of a curiosity wanting to know what the effects would be is all.

:-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    My doctor told me when I had my MMR needle not to fall pregnant within 3 months. That seemed like a lifetime. Some vaccinations they inject you with live viruses, not sure if that one is one of them. I read that if you happened to get the vaccination without knowing you were pregnant, not to worry but to advise your doctor of the fact. I waited the 3 months because I wasn't sure what it would do to the baby if I didn't, and didn't want to risk it. I think my doctor was being extremely cautious.
    And yep the MMR shot is a live vac :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    MMR is a live vaccination and thats why you arent allowed to TTC for 30 days after getting it done. Its not 3 months anymore like other ones its only 30 days (I had to get it done a few months ago)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Found this info online:

Because of the known association between wild rubella virus and congenital rubella syndrome (CRS), there is a theoretical risk that rubella vaccine could cause CRS. The possibility that rubella vaccine could cause CRS has been carefully studied and the results are very reassuring that nobody has found any evidence that MMR vaccine can cause congenital rubella syndrome.

Nevertheless, women are advised to avoid pregnancy for one month after receiving a rubella-containing vaccine. This advice is the same in the UK and the US.

This was from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/8918.php

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Kelsie  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Found this info online:

Because of the known association between wild rubella virus and congenital rubella syndrome (CRS), there is a theoretical risk that rubella vaccine could cause CRS. The possibility that rubella vaccine could cause CRS has been carefully studied and the results are very reassuring that nobody has found any evidence that MMR vaccine can cause congenital rubella syndrome.

Nevertheless, women are advised to avoid pregnancy for one month after receiving a rubella-containing vaccine. This advice is the same in the UK and the US.

This was from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/8918.php
    Thank you! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    Thank you! :-)
    No worries