+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't smack, and I think there are more effective forms of discipline, BUT...

I find the argument 'It would be wrong if your husband/ a stronger person did it to you, so you shouldn't do it to a child' to be a redundant one.

When raising a child there are many things that are appropriate for a parent to do, that would NOT be appropriate for one adult to do to another. Time out, grounding, telling off, removal of possessions, restraint (e.g., child seat/ highchair/ cot), deprivation of liberty, etc.

There are other arguments that I think are more valid when discussing whether or not smacking is acceptable. To say 'it's wrong because you wouldn't do it to another adult' doesn't really work when there are other things that fit the same description and are thought of as acceptable.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (06-12-2012),PR2bMum  (06-12-2012),Purple Lily  (06-12-2012),Sairz  (06-12-2012),shelle65  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I generally smack as a last resort, I use 123 warning and time out too, each to their own I don't get involved in other parents disciplinary actions with their child so I expect the same treatment in return

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mixinitup For This Useful Post:

bpac  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I don't smack, and I think there are more effective forms of discipline, BUT...

I find the argument 'It would be wrong if your husband/ a stronger person did it to you, so you shouldn't do it to a child' to be a redundant one.

When raising a child there are many things that are appropriate for a parent to do, that would NOT be appropriate for one adult to do to another. Time out, grounding, telling off, removal of possessions, restraint (e.g., child seat/ highchair/ cot), deprivation of liberty, etc.

There are other arguments that I think are more valid when discussing whether or not smacking is acceptable. To say 'it's wrong because you wouldn't do it to another adult' doesn't really work when there are other things that fit the same description and are thought of as acceptable.
    Yup! Lots of things!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it ok the smack a your spouse/mother/father/brother/sister/friend? No? That's called assault.
    Kids deserve the same respect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Is it ok the smack a your spouse/mother/father/brother/sister/friend? No? That's called assault.
    Kids deserve the same respect.
    Well, not to single you out, Roopee, but this is the argument that I was arguing against just a few posts earlier.

Is it okay to take away a possession from your spouse/ mother, etc.? No. That's called theft.

Is it okay to physically restrain your spouse/ mother, etc.? No.

Is it okay to take away a possession from a child as a punishment? Well, most of us would say that there are circumstances in which this is okay.

Is it okay to physically restrain your child? Yes. There are many circumstances in which this is the best thing to do in order to keep your child safe. Even when safety is not an issue then most of us still do it at times - e.g., picking up a screaming toddler and carrying them to the car.

I don't disagree that kids deserve to be treated with respect. And I don't argue in favour of smacking.

But I don't believe that this argument, which many people have repeated as evidence against smacking, does the anti-smacking cause any good. To me it's an illogical argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Smacking your child

I smacked DS today for possibly the 3rd or 4th time in his life. I felt awful and was on the verge of crying after because he still didn't listen and laughed at me when I told him to get back in his room and go to sleep. I had previously sent him to the corner, counted to 3, taken him back to bed numerous times, told him there will be no chocolate for a week, even tried telling him that I would be talking to Santa and telling him to put him on the naughty list (he told me to call him now).

He ended up crying in his bed after I picked him up and put him there for the umpteenth time and told him "I had had enough and didn't want to see him again until he had slept"

Worst mother of the day award goes to me.

In answer to Op, no I do not think it is ok. I hate it if I resort to smacking and it never makes anything better

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Well, not to single you out, Roopee, but this is the argument that I was arguing against just a few posts earlier.

Is it okay to take away a possession from your spouse/ mother, etc.? No. That's called theft.

Is it okay to physically restrain your spouse/ mother, etc.? No.

Is it okay to take away a possession from a child as a punishment? Well, most of us would say that there are circumstances in which this is okay.

Is it okay to physically restrain your child? Yes. There are many circumstances in which this is the best thing to do in order to keep your child safe. Even when safety is not an issue then most of us still do it at times - e.g., picking up a screaming toddler and carrying them to the car.

I don't disagree that kids deserve to be treated with respect. And I don't argue in favour of smacking.

But I don't believe that this argument, which many people have repeated as evidence against smacking, does the anti-smacking cause any good. To me it's an illogical argument.
    Taking a possession, picking up a screaming kid doesn't inflict physical pain, is not designed to physically hurt them though, Smacking IS.
    I don't think it's illogical at all? it's not ok to intentionally hit/hurt someone......no matter their age. T
    o ME and for MY family? Smacking isn't a tool we will ever use.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (06-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Smacking your child

This can turn very interesting indeed.

arguments against emotional abuse, domestic violence, financial abuse, physical abuse, deprivation of liberty... This argument could go on forever.

I give it 1 more page.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No. I never have and I never will. I think its wrong to "teach" behaviour with force.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Taking a possession, picking up a screaming kid doesn't inflict physical pain, is not designed to physically hurt them though, Smacking IS.
    I don't think it's illogical at all? it's not ok to intentionally hit/hurt someone......no matter their age. T
    o ME and for MY family? Smacking isn't a tool we will ever use.
    I understand that, and I don't disagree with you. My disagreement was with the argument 'you wouldn't do it to an adult so it's wrong to do it to a child'. Not with 'it's wrong to deliberately inflict pain'.

I guess this is the point at which people often say that they smack to startle rather than to inflict pain, however. And I do agree that there is definitely a difference.

I'll just reiterate, I don't smack and I don't think it's the best form of discipline - so I'm not advocating for it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (06-12-2012)