I think you really need to get recognised as the legal guardian for your child for a while mess of reasons and risks.

Definitely call that other number you were given, maybe even contract your local fathers rights group (as with any organisation, just take any complete extremists with a grain of salt though). They often have some great resources,

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect