ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Did you feel empowered after giving birth?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiplusthree View Post
    I did with DS until I met the midwife in the ward. Very condescending, patronising in nature and had the nerve to look me in the eye and tell me the name I'd chosen was a 'sissy/coward' name back in England..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Do you mean the name Jesse? That is actually true in Scotland at least.

But we are not in Scotland and I think it's a nice name. Horrible thing to say to a mother.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes!!! I had a drug and intervention free birth and still feel very empowered by it. I did it!!! Even though it ended with a 3rd degree tear requiring repair under GA and a large PPH requiring a blood transfusion. I still think I did an amazing job bringing DD into this world

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With my first son, I felt disempowered. I had a post dates induction, and had a string of interventions. I felt completely like I had no control, and that the doctors dictated everything. And I spent years feeling like I had failed and that I was not capable of having a natural birth, like I had intended.

However, my second birth was empowering and gave me a lot of insight about and healing over my first labour. I had a home waterbirth, and the midwife left me to my own devices, and it was perfect.

In saying that, even after my second birth, I still felt a bit overwhelmed for days. but i think it's normal to have some psychological reaction after experiencing such intense pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    With DS definitely not. This birth left me feeling useless, as though I had failed in the first step of motherhood. (I had every form of intervention other than a c-s).

With DD, most definitely. I got to labour in the comfort of my home and do as I wished with no one poking, prodding, analysing, measuring etc. I chose when I wanted to start pushing, I chose what position I wanted to be and I birthed her all by myself (ie, no intervention). I did, I frikkin did it
    Yep this but both DDs.

I felt so useless as mother first time round that I went back to work when dd1 was 10wks old to regain a bit of my old feelings of confidence that I could do something right ie work.

Second time round.... It's more than empowering. It's everything I missed out the first time. I honestly feel that dd2 was my first birth and dd1 arrived by the stork cos I refuse to think about the day before she was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing so I can think about the question...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Did you feel empowered after giving birth?

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Do you mean the name Jesse? That is actually true in Scotland at least.

But we are not in Scotland and I think it's a nice name. Horrible thing to say to a mother.
    Yes It's a fairly common name and regardless of whether it's true or not it's not something you say directly after asking what someone has called their brand new son! And the way she had been the whole time I knew it wasnt a harmless/thoughtless comment.. she was a cow! lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiplusthree For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After my first birth yes... after my second no... after my third at first no i look back at the photos didn't even crack one smile. i had no breather after, everyone came into the room before i had even got cleaned up. major shame for me.
    after a shower i walked out feeling amazing. i even said "who looks this good after birth?" i think i was still high off the gas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For my first i didnt. My labour was 22hrs, i was pushing for 3.5hrs, everybody was talking to me, but not telling me what i needed to do, or when they did they spoke in riddles (push to the warmth!! wtf?). Then the last part went so quick, my baby was torn from me, i had to go to theatre under GA. I didnt know what had just happened, i didnt know if that was how birth was supposed to be.

With my second, i felt very empowered. I fought the Drs to be able to have another VB after my 4th deg tears. I was told my body/I couldnt do it without doing damage. I breathed my baby out in 3hrs with no problems. The difference? I didnt let them interfere with my birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't think empowered is the right word for me.

Definitely, I felt relief. Relief that my girls were safe and born, but mostly relief that it was over.

Both births lead to a sense of achievement, but i wouldn't described them as empowering. DD1 I had epidural and forceps delivery. DD2 I was aiming/hoping for drug & intervention free, but I was happy to do what needed to happen to get bubs out the safest way possible. Panadol and some Maxalon later, DD2 was born with no tears, so there was a little self-satisfaction that I'd done a pretty good job of a natural "drug-free" birth.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kiplusthree View Post
    Yes It's a fairly common name and regardless of whether it's true or not it's not something you say directly after asking what someone has called their brand new son! And the way she had been the whole time I knew it wasnt a harmless/thoughtless comment.. she was a cow! lol

Yep... Cow!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (03-12-2012)