Closed Thread
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    This could work, as long as they tapered it down enough that they cant live on it, also have really clear details on how it will be tapered and so people know exactly what they need to do. This along with more affordable CC and some more ways to help people get back to work would prob work well. Although this wouldnt change the current law because those going from PP to NS have already been on the payments for 6-8 years, or would you still boost their for a few months then taper?

From what I have read most people cant really live off what it is now so maybe back down to what it is?? What is PP?? I suppose it should only really apply to those just out of work or maybe you can choose when you get the 3 month 'leg up' so if say like us we have savings we can choose to delay it for 3 months and rely on it when the going gets tough.

That way those alrady on the lower payment can choose to take the 3 months but it tapers down afterwards if they havent found employment...maybe the higher payments are an incentive to get work cause it is easier to never have than have and have it taken away... hmmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Lack of compassion breeds. And as long as people continue with this attitude it will keep breeding and breeding and before long we will have a compassionless society where people are begging on the streets and selling their children to prostitution just to put food on the table. Get over yourself! If you think I'm talking about you...then perhaps you need to think about a few things. If you honestly believe that I'm NOT talking about you then what the hell are you worried about? Move along!
    Dramatic much?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonZie View Post
    1. The payment is disgusting and should be increased. I don't really care about the minority who take advantage- no system is perfect and every society is going to have a freeloader or two. Our concern should be with the majority of people receiving the payment whilst trying to do the right thing.

2. Australia's rates of homelessness per capita are obscene. A god portion of homeless people are families (single and two parent) who hit hard times after job losses. When looking for work payments are so low, homelessness happens quickly and easily and once it does it's even harder to do yourself out.

3. A better way for the government to save money is to axe the PHI rebate as advised by treasury rather than reduce funding to the most vulnerable.
    I have PHI to take some of the strain off the public health system. I can't really afford it, but I have it anyway. Scrapping the phi rebate just puts more strain on our already crippled public health system.

The government should be working more with private enterprise and supporting small businesses to create jobs. They should be coming up with ways of easing the extreme costs of renting or buying a home, and essentials like electricity. In Newcastle where I live thousands of job opportunities have been lost to the government succumbing to minority groups who have their priorities wrong.

People need and want a hand up, not a hand out, increasing the newstart payment, (whilst I agree it needs to be increased somewhat) does not solve the problem of high cost housing, high cost utilities and massive job cuts across the country.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    yeah and WITH rent assistance I got a grand total of ... 460 dollars a fortnight ... could you HONESTLY live on 460 dollars a fortnight?
    I was lucky as rent was only 260 a fortnight, now I would be ****ed as rent alone would be 400 (minimum) electricity well say 40 that leaves a grand total of 20 dollars to eat with
    You do realise that a pack of 2 minute noodles only costs $1.10 at aldi right?? $20 is plenty enough to cover that - geez!!! I did it! Why can't you!

I also walked 10 miles in the snow barefoot to go to school!!! You should be like me cos I have it all worked out!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (01-12-2012),trishalishous  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Dramatic much?
    ...case in point

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

I can't believe that it could even be brought up as a serious suggestion that people deliberately not be given enough to survive

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (01-12-2012),trishalishous  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I can't believe that it could even be brought up as a serious suggestion that people deliberately not be given enough to survive
    As I said...lack of compassion breeds, it's only going to get worse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    From what I have read most people cant really live off what it is now so maybe back down to what it is?? What is PP?? I suppose it should only really apply to those just out of work or maybe you can choose when you get the 3 month 'leg up' so if say like us we have savings we can choose to delay it for 3 months and rely on it when the going gets tough.

That way those alrady on the lower payment can choose to take the 3 months but it tapers down afterwards if they havent found employment...maybe the higher payments are an incentive to get work cause it is easier to never have than have and have it taken away... hmmmm
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...enting-payment

Is wht I can find on the PP I do think people need incentive and I think making the payments not livable is incentive. I guess its just not one of those things you can really "fix".

It has been awhile but my ex had to go on unemployment when he lost a job from what I remember he got 80% of his wages for a certain amount of time which was determined on how long he had been paying into the pool through taxes. So from what I gathered anyone who was paying into the pool by working could then use some to get help when they lose a job. Ill have to search it but that wouldn't be too bad an idea but saying that Ill google it and see

ETA here is what it is, doesnt seem to bad makes a bit more sense.
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...nia-32504.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not denied enough to survive...I said tapered down to what it is now, which is enough to survive off ( which I am now ) sorry I obviously used the wrong words - I meant maybe a much higher ammount but for a shorter ammount of time - it might sort out those seriosly needing a short term fix till they are back on their feet up to those just taking advantage???

Obviously I am not saying it ends all prolems it was just somehting I thought after suddenly going from a 2 income family to a half income family...

Seriously everyone is in such a hurry to attack and be a bleeding heart that they dont really want to try to understand.
    Last edited by Meld85; 01-12-2012 at 11:57.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    A little bit of a issue with the tapering down thing. i have been on Newstart for nearly a year despite not looking for work because I am studying full time. If it was tapered down, I would be in an even worse position and unable to finish my studies with would keep me in the welfare cycle.

These things sound good but do not hold up when put into practical terms.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (01-12-2012)