Closed Thread
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    And if your husband didn't end up being such a 'great' father and your work made you redundant? Or you weren't on maternity leave? Or your now ex just doesn't pay his share of child support?
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    Which happens quite regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

My son is just as deserving to have a parent at home as ANY other child REGARDLESS of marital status!

Sorry? How does marital status come into it? I didn't mention that at all.

I believe this to be the case for all parents, partnered or otherwise.

ETA: its this "deserving" thing I don't get. I don't think kids miss out by having a working mum/dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And if your husband didn't end up being such a 'great' father and your work made you redundant? Or you weren't on maternity leave? Or your now ex just doesn't pay his share of child support?

Pray tell these things simply don't happen when you are living in never never land

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Getting a degree is nowhere near the end of your problems as a working parent (single or otherwise). Most professional graduate positions are highly competitive and full-time. You have zero bargaining power as you are competing against thousands of other intelligent, accomplished uni graduates for a job. If you are lucky enough to get a graduate position, then you usually have to impress to be kept on. This means working late nights, sometimes working weekends, basically being ready to jump whenever the boss asks.

When I went back to work after having DD, I was sufficiently senior to be able to leave at 5.30 to pick her up from daycare without any problems. However a friend in his graduate year whose wife had a baby was called to come into work the day after the baby was born. He had no choice. Tell the boss to shove it = goodbye any chance of a permanent position, hello unemployment and years of study down the drain.

Can you imagine a single mother with a child under 12 years of age surviving a grad year?? I sure as hell can't.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012),cmd'smum  (30-11-2012),MissMuppet  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

I believe this to be the case for all parents, partnered or otherwise.
    So you don't think there should be any form of parenting 'payement' then?

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lillytheo View Post
    Return to work full time, I am currently on maternity leave (i know, don't die of shock, i would return to work despite my child not being school age !!) sell the house we've both been working for and downsize significantly. I am and have always been excellent at budgeting so I'm sure those skills will hold me in good steed & I'm sure I can get some tips from my mum on how to make it work, seeing as she raised two without support.
    Don't forget my husband is employed so I would receive some form of child support & he is a great Dad so he would want to have lots of access to his child.

Oh and whilst I was a single mummy I wouldn't be having anymore kids, I'm sure that will help.

It can be done ladies, you can be a single parent and work! I know people who have done/are doing it!! Particularly when you're kids are at school.

But I guess those with the mentality that they are entitled to be handed everything would see it as too much like hard work and require effort and will never change their minds.
    You mention your skillset and your social, emotional and financial supports. Do you understand not everyone has those supports and advantages???

Do you think some people wake up in the morning and say "I think I will spend my life on welfare because it will be so much fun raising kids on the poverty line!" ???

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012),Ellewood  (30-11-2012),Gandalf  (01-12-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (01-12-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    No you didn't and I do agree with some of your sentiments - that there is absolutely nothing wrong with returning to work or study before children are school age, esp if it means to escape poverty etc.

the problem with a lot of people's mentality is that single mum being a stay at home mum = bad. Partnered mum being a stay at home mum = great!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012),Ellewood  (30-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lillytheo View Post
    Return to work full time, I am currently on maternity leave (i know, don't die of shock, i would return to work despite my child not being school age !!) sell the house we've both been working for and downsize significantly. I am and have always been excellent at budgeting so I'm sure those skills will hold me in good steed & I'm sure I can get some tips from my mum on how to make it work, seeing as she raised two without support.
    Don't forget my husband is employed so I would receive some form of child support & he is a great Dad so he would want to have lots of access to his child.

Oh and whilst I was a single mummy I wouldn't be having anymore kids, I'm sure that will help.

It can be done ladies, you can be a single parent and work! I know people who have done/are doing it!! Particularly when you're kids are at school.

But I guess those with the mentality that they are entitled to be handed everything would see it as too much like hard work and require effort and will never change their minds.
    Oh what rot!

Your opinion is rather insulting and very narrow minded.

Just to let you know, I'm not a single mother. We live in a two high income household. Yet, I am fortunate enough not to have my head up my butt.

You never know what's around the corner and one day life might just make you live what you have judged .

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012),atomicmama  (30-11-2012),Boobycino  (30-11-2012),Ellewood  (30-11-2012),Gandalf  (01-12-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),Izy  (30-11-2012),MissMuppet  (30-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (01-12-2012),RobinSparkles  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This part here especially shows me you don't know much about people's individual stories. Some on single parenting payments had the father of their children pass away. Some have been abused. Some were downright unhappy.

why should the government pay them to be able to live in a home and eat? Because we aren't like other animals. We don't let our weak and vulnerable starve to death.

Like you, I do not qualify for FTB or a health care card etc due to household income. do you know what we are? ......lucky.
    Perhaps you missed my story and the previous comments I made, perhaps you just choose to take what you want from things and ignore the rest.

I said i am happy to pay for those who have hit a rough patch, i am happy to pay until kids are school age but for long term bludgers no I'm not happy to pay and for those that despite having kids at school all day decide they cant work or study. I think in those circumstances they should be made to work for their handout. Never said leave them to starve, that's you putting your own interpretation and words into my comments.

I am the child of a single mother, but she worked and she didn't receive support because she believes you should work for what you are given.

I will be returning to work despite being considered "middle income" because we have to work for the things we need. That's how life is.

Oh and the comment about being jealous of those on welfare, thank you sooo much I needed a great laugh!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is just as deserving to have a parent at home as ANY other child REGARDLESS of marital status!

But sometimes its not possible, everyone has the right to live a happy healthy life but it doesnt always happen. Life happens and sometimes we have to give up something we think we deserve. I deserved to have my mom stay at home but she was single she couldn't she had to work to provide a good life for us. I am glad she did.

My birth mother had the right to stay home on welfare to raise kids and she did and, they too are all welfare moms the only child that isnt a welfare mom out of her 8 kids is me.

We have to break the cycle and I think that is what the government is trying to do. Even having the people who cant find jobs go out and do volunteer work for their pay helps the kids see the parent work and they are prob less likely to follow the welfare cycle.