Closed Thread
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    But this was 10 years ago, i would dearly hope they had changed this.
    Six years ago I left work because I was pregnant and awfully awfully sick (anaemia and morning sickness). Rather than continue calling in sick or leaving work early due to being sick or falling asleep, I decided to do the right thing by both myself and my employer and leave. Went to centrelink and they said pregnancy wasn't a good enough excuse to not work lol. So they wouldnt give me newstart. So looked for temp or casual work. The second employers realised I was pregnant, I didn't even get a look-in. Despite previously getting every job I had ever applied for.

that was a fun few months with NO income.

i, too, hope things have changed. I also have known people in the past who have cancer but dont qualify for sickness benefits. It's a disgrace.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Nope, they said he didn't qualify. No partner, so no help there.

But this was 10 years ago, i would dearly hope they had changed this.
    Yep it has changed. I have breast cancer and I am allowed to claim for a carer, disability and more childcare but I haven't claimed as I don't think it's necessary yet... Maybe if I got worse I would have to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    Just a couple of things on the middle class help factor.

I have held down a job with a minimum of 20 hours a week work since I was 14 & 9 months. Not once have I been eligible to receive any payments from the government, not when I was studying full time (I just had to study and work a full time job) not when I got made redundant. Thankfully I ended up getting another job straight away but that was after applying to over 300 jobs in 3 weeks, everything from super menial jobs right up to jobs that were more of a 'well it's along shot but I might have to fake it till I make it.' DH was out of work for over 6 months and we got nothing, not even a health care card. He then worked his a55 off on an apprentice wage for 4 years whilst we tried to pay for IVF.

Now I am 6 weeks off having our first baby (after 5 go's at IVF for medically diagnosed infertility, which the government gives you sh!t all back for now) and finally I am able to get some for of help from the government, 18 weeks of paid maternity leave, after that time I will have to go back to work, because hubby 'technically' earns too much for us to get anything. We don't live an extravagant life, we live in a 3 bed, 100 year old house an hour out of town.

Now I don't have a problem at all with paying taxes, don't have a problem with those going towards paying Newstart and other assistance packages for those in need. I don't agree that single parents should be dropped back to the basic newstart allowance. I understand that not everyone is able to secure employment, I have seen 1st hand how many job applications come from a seek ad, (one company I worked for received over 1000 in 48 hours) I would like to see some more of the money going into education to help people who are on long term unemployment benefits obtain jobs, or potentially even some more partnerships between the government and private enterprise to support this.

But I DO have a problem when people say that PPL and the baby bonus and things such as that should be heavily means tested. Why should I be deprived of the opportunity to spend time at home with my baby just because we have worked our absolute butts off to make sure that we never had to use government assistance, so that it was available for people that had no choice.

Middle class families are usually only middle class families because they are working incredibly hard to be that way, take one wage out of the equation and you very quickly drop from being middle class to being lower.

OK, my rants over. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but it makes me really angry when people suggest that middle class people shouldn't be entitled to assistance. Sometimes they need it too, especially when it comes to things like PPL and baby bonus.
    For the record that wasn't my suggestion at all, I too have no problem with BB, PPL etc. My point was that people receiving middle class 'welfare', 'help', 'bonus' etc are not smacked with the naughty stick in the way that others receiving such payments are. It's hypocritical. You don't see too many people forgoing their middle class welfare on the basis of moral high ground, and the way people bang on about new start & the pension etc you would think their righteous views would prevent them from accepting such 'handouts'.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Benji  (30-11-2012),delirium  (30-11-2012)

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    For the record that wasn't my suggestion at all, I too have no problem with BB, PPL etc. My point was that people receiving middle class 'welfare', 'help', 'bonus' etc are not smacked with the naughty stick in the way that others receiving such payments are. It's hypocritical. You don't see too many people forgoing their middle class welfare on the basis of moral high ground, and the way people bang on about new start & the pension etc you would think their righteous views would prevent them from accepting such 'handouts'.
    Thats a good point, I think there is a double standard there.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by soon2bmumzy View Post
    Yep it has changed. I have breast cancer and I am allowed to claim for a carer, disability and more childcare but I haven't claimed as I don't think it's necessary yet... Maybe if I got worse I would have to.
    I'm glad it's changed so that it is available for you and people in your position I hope you recover fully and quickly so you never need it

Just as a side note, when my partner died 10 years ago (yes, I am aware my life sounds like a soap opera, maybe this is all a coma dream...), I was unable to get anything except Newstart. I think they have also changed this so that people can get a short bereavement payment.

ETA: Just checked on that bereavement payment. it's only available if you or your partner were already on a payment.
    Last edited by Ana Gram; 30-11-2012 at 20:21.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Unless a single mum is receiving a pretty high amount of child support (and even then would lose a portion, or all, FTB), not many would receive more than the minimum wage. Someone on the minimum wage who has children would receive benefits on top of their wage, so still end up better off.

if a single mum can stay at home, why would a middle class partnered mum 'have' to return to work? I don't understand? Reality is that most single mums work or study anyway.

Why do we have to work? Because we don't get one cent of assistance from the government, we pay full cost for everything, no rent assistance, no utilities assistance, no health care card, nothing, because we want to put a roof over our children's head and hopefully one day own our own home so we have something to leave our children when we die, so that we can give them the best chance at a good education & perhaps they will be in a better position when they are adults, we want to give them the best we possibly can and we understand to do that we have to work hard, pay our taxes, pay for people who bludge (and people who fall on tough times) so that once everyone else has dipped into our wages and taken their bit of our hard earned money we can have enough left over to do the best for our kids and hey hopefully we'll set a good example that hard work and persistence pays off in life and our children won't fall into the "welfare trap".

Why should Australian workers pay for the fact someone decided to have children and that a relationship didn't work out?

I also resent paying for those that keep having child after child knowing they can't support them. Lots of us don't or have a limit on the number of children we have because that is all we can support.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lillytheo For This Useful Post:

Mummajugs28  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lillytheo View Post
    Why do we have to work? Because we don't get one cent of assistance from the government, we pay full cost for everything, no rent assistance, no utilities assistance, no health care card, nothing, because we want to put a roof over our children's head and hopefully one day own our own home so we have something to leave our children when we die, so that we can give them the best chance at a good education & perhaps they will be in a better position when they are adults, we want to give them the best we possibly can and we understand to do that we have to work hard, pay our taxes, pay for people who bludge (and people who fall on tough times) so that once everyone else has dipped into our wages and taken their bit of our hard earned money we can have enough left over to do the best for our kids and hey hopefully we'll set a good example that hard work and persistence pays off in life and our children won't fall into the "welfare trap".

Why should Australian workers pay for the fact someone decided to have children and that a relationship didn't work out?

I also resent paying for those that keep having child after child knowing they can't support them. Lots of us don't or have a limit on the number of children we have because that is all we can support.
    Wow.... Just wow.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),MissMuppet  (30-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (01-12-2012),RobinSparkles  (30-11-2012)

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lillytheo View Post

Its part of living in a civilized, compassionate society.

Living on welfare is nothing to be jealous of. The welfare population are mostly our society's undereducated, marginalized, underpriviledged people living in near or actual poverty.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (01-12-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post

Right now parents get 6-8 years at home to raise the kids. Thats a lot longer than the 2 years.

So is there a reason that parents cant get a degree in the 6-8 years that they are allowed to stay home? I understand that every parent prob wants to stay home and raise the kids but when life happens it cant always happen if you find that one parents income cant hold the family up you may have to go to work if you find yourself single you may have to go to work. Life doesn't always go the way we want but that doesn't mean we attack the government for not providing enough they do what they can do. I do think CC needs a rework but they are working on that.
    What's the rework on CC you keep mentioning?