ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 12 mth waiting ends April

Hi ladies,

I've recently found out we're expecting with #1. We signed up for PHI last April, so the 12 mth waiting period will be up when about 5 months cooked.

Just wondering what to do regarding this situation - totally clueless! I believe if you're private you should book in straight away, but as we're not technically covered yet, it may be too late by the time we're covered. Does this seem correct?

Any advice would be great! Going through a total mind spin!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm same boat (April too). This is how it was explained to me by my phi ( as i specifically told them we would be trying from end of year).
    Private cover is divided into two parts extras and hospital.

The hospital part is only if you are admitted ( no day visits), and its 12 months waiting for pregnancy related admissions.
    As our cover dates are before our 32 weeks if we delivered premie and needed to be admitted then we would be going public anyway as most private don't have the required care facilities.

OB fees come under Medicare (mine phi doesn't have extras to cover this- check yours might) so phi doesn't cover costs of this ( unless you have specific extra for it)

So in a nut shell we should be right. the only issue I see is if we need to be admitted for pregnancy related aspect prior ( like preeclampsia). My phi did say that it's only if an OB is your main doctor too so if you were admitted for something else ( but happened to be pregnant) and say a cardiologist was your doctor then it should be ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just make sure you have family cover. There is usually a three month waiting period for this. Your baby will not be covered once out on singles and some couples cover.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mousky View Post
    Just make sure you have family cover. There is usually a three month waiting period for this. Your baby will not be covered once out on singles and some couples cover.
    Depends on the phi I'm with bupa and our bub will be covered if we put them on with a month or so. Unless they need special care or twins my understand is bub isn't actually a patient therefore doesn't need cover.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Depends on the phi I'm with bupa and our bub will be covered if we put them on with a month or so. Unless they need special care or twins my understand is bub isn't actually a patient therefore doesn't need cover.
    This is correct. A baby that isn't admitted as a patient (usually only happens if premmie or sick etc) is covered under mums policy. Getting family cover is a good idea as back up though, in case bub does need to be admitted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Sorry if thid is double, something happened when uploading.

You are correct. Bubs is covered if not admitted as a patient. Bubs will be admitted if you have a caeserian (most hospitals), if prem or if sick. If you dobt have family cover and that happens, the skys the limit on what you'll owe. Considering that family cover costs the same as couples, why wouldn't you?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mousky View Post
    Sorry if thid is double, something happened when uploading.

You are correct. Bubs is covered if not admitted as a patient. Bubs will be admitted if you have a caeserian (most hospitals), if prem or if sick. If you dobt have family cover and that happens, the skys the limit on what you'll owe. Considering that family cover costs the same as couples, why wouldn't you?
    Really?? I've never heard of a c/s bub bring admitted as standard. Only ever if there is an issue - and I work in the industry.