+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP, if it's something you really want, ask. I know some hospitals are more progressive than others, if yours is attached to a uni you'll be more likely to get a 'yes'.

I'd also do a LOT of research on the risks and benefits of an elective c-section, the process, the healing and the future implications it can have on your health.

The more informed you are, the more likely you are to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you'd be offered one. Check with the hospital though as I may be wrong.
    You do, elective c-sections are hardly blinked at in public hospitals if you've already had one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister had a c-section in public with # 1 due to placenta position.
    Wanted to try natural with #2 then changed her mind at 36 weeks and had c-section at 39 weeks in public. They said it was her decision.
    Ask midwives when you see them (or your GP if you are doing shared care) may just depend on the hospital.
    You mentioned you were young...wish I was when I had my first. All my friends who had their kids early 20's breezed through natural labours...i think thats when our bodies are at their best ;o) You might surprise yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Were you in a private hospital or a private patient in a public hospital?
    In a private hospital. In the end, its your ob who says yay or nay, so I would doubt going public as a private patient would make a difference as you still have your own ob? I have no personal experience in that though!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    what about if you had a c sec previously ..will you be offered one?..in public?
    At my first appt with no.2 (public patient this time) they asked what I would prefer.

My girlfriend is due around the same time and wants a v-bac, and it's interesting (albeit pretty crappy) that she is being given a much harder road going that way then I am having an elective. Obviously, it depends on your hospital and possibly the reasons for the first csection?

I was pretty scared going in this time, thinking they would push for a v-bac, so was armed with my own info and notes from my old ob ready to stand my ground, but was fine

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can you choose c-sec?

Yes you will. I got offered one with dd. I'm about to have my 3rd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really hope I get one..my other girl was breech ..I dont want to do a VBAC!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You can request it, but there's no guarantees they'll agree. Previously on here, in similar topics, other women have admitted to telling fibs to ensure a caesarean. I wouldn't recommend that, but it has apparently worked.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I went public and could of had the choice. I really wanted a csec but was a bit chicken to confirm I wanted it with the nurses.

I ended up birthing vaginally and so happy I did, even after my body playing up (BP and lots of other things).

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Hi there - just my opinion: you don't say why you want a C section, but I was the same. Absolutely adamant that if I had the option then I would take it. Private wasn't feasible for me. I was terrified of giving birth. The only thing I knew for sure was I wanted pain relief ASAP!

I was induced straight away after my waters broke due to GD and went immediately into back-to-back contractions. I ended up birthing naturally after 6 hours, and drug free (not from choice - it's a long story!), and even in between the hardest parts, I remember thinking 'oh! OK! I can do this!' After my son was born I ended up in theatre under general to retrieve the placenta, and I still got to go home earlier than my roomy who had a Caesar...

I am so glad now that I birthed vaginally as your body really does bounce back, and it is one of the greatest and most empowering achievements of my life.

I am not judging your decision either way - just suggesting that you might surprise yourself, and if I can do it, anyone can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Can you choose c-sec?

Not in public u can't. (unless there are mental or medical health reasons... Even then, it's a battle as others have said)