+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Annoying MIL

I could go on forever about the stupid advice from my mil! I just ignore her, but it does get frustrating sometimes.
    Once she told me that I shouldn't listen to my doctor about not changing kitty litter whilst pregnant, that he should know better than to give ridiculous advice such as that considering he is sth african (as she is) and women in sth africa give birth in the middle of the bush with nothing and they survive :/ what.the.farout! Crazy lady! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Annoying MIL

Actually though, surprisingly my 65yo MIL a lot of the time will say, "Really? See, we didn't know that in our day", whereas my 46yo mum ALWAYS pulls out the "well we did it and you turned out fine" card.

I just thought the older you are, the more stuck in your ways you must be, but not always the case!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Someone on the street told me this today!
    Their way of keeping the baby's eyes closed is ridiculous... but I think it does help to get them to sleep (if they're already tired but can't seem to fall asleep) to gentle run your fingers over their brows. They usually react by closing their eyes... if you keep at it, they don't get a change to re-open their eyes... plus the sensation is really quite a nice one.

I used to do this with DD when she wouldn't sleep, but i also tried it on DP's nephew a lot when he was a small baby and they'd all go outside smoking while he screaming blue murder inside. He settled a little just by being held, but the stroking of his brow would make him fall asleep.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (24-11-2012),Ellymoe  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Annoying MIL

I got told not by the mil but by my grandmother the other day not to let my 19 month old play with the toaster...um ok...i thought it was completely fine?! :-) I'm sure she thinks I'm a complete idiot.

Luckily my mil realises we have much more information available these days so doesn't try giving too much advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Annoying MIL

My DD was 4 months old when my mil suggested and asked my nil of she should feed my baby ice cream didn't ask me or DH luckily we heard and jumped in. Or when she decided it was time to toilet train her even though I knew she wasn't ready mil decided she was and tried to take over, I managed to smile and fume on the inside with all this until she came out to DD who was 1 "your mummy doesn't know what she is doing I should raise you and you can call me mummy" right in front of DH and I. Needless to say we not long after that we stopped talking

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    until she came out to DD who was 1 "your mummy doesn't know what she is doing I should raise you and you can call me mummy"
    Woah!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all the replies!!!

It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets annoyed. And it's not only my MIL, it's my own mother, my husband, my sister in law and so on. Maybe I am stubborn but I personally don't like hearing any advice unless I asked for it.

Sonja, I understand you too. It's hard not having much family around. But sometimes family can be too much too, haha..

Ellymoe, I haven’t heard this one before, lol..

My mother in law told me her kids would eat EVERYTHING at 6 months! She can’t believe I only started introducing solids at 6 months. Oh yes, my husband also thinks our baby should have cake and ice cream. He thinks I am too strict.

Wow, I also got the advice about water and brandy too, haha.. My husband’s best friend suggested it.

WineTime, this is crazy!!!!

I tried to smile, but I think my MIL thinks I’m not normal. She raised 6 kids and doesn’t understand my ways of parenting. When I told her, I read books to the baby she actually started laughing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    I agree with ur Mil.

I mean 8 months old, what is she even still doing at home? Shes a big girl now. Kick her out and tell her to get a job!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Too funny

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Annoying MIL

Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    My DD was 4 months old when my mil suggested and asked my nil of she should feed my baby ice cream didn't ask me or DH luckily we heard and jumped in. Or when she decided it was time to toilet train her even though I knew she wasn't ready mil decided she was and tried to take over, I managed to smile and fume on the inside with all this until she came out to DD who was 1 "your mummy doesn't know what she is doing I should raise you and you can call me mummy" right in front of DH and I. Needless to say we not long after that we stopped talking
    OMG! I think my hand would have met her face before I even had time to think about it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great topic! I've had some crackers from both my mother and MIL, much along the same lines as those already mentioned, like honey or jam on dummies, starting solids at 8 weeks, sleeping babies on their tummies to get the wind out... I could go on and on.

Slightly off the track but just MIL having to have a say on our business, when we told her DH was getting a vasectomy as we are done now after 3 kids, she was completely against the idea - she said to him in front of me "Do you think you should be doing that - what if things change with your life down the track ...not all marriages work out..."poor DH, he just looked at his mum and asked her what she was getting at, so I replied that she was suggesting that he and I may not stay together, to which MIL replied "No, its not just that, you could die... you never know what's around the corner and maybe you shouldn't make a decision that is so permanent" !!! classic. I should add that we have been together for ten years and happily married for 7, and that I thought MIL and I get along quite well when she isn't offering bad advice!