+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Restaurant hours in canberra

Hi
    Can someone tell me why is it in canberra that any club or restaurant only open from 12-2pm & again from 6-9pm.

I would be used to having my Sunday dinner from 2pm onwards as I don't like to eat before then(it's just too early for me) & then go home & relax for the evening (not much relaxing done tho with a 10 week old lol)

It just would be nice to go when you felt hungry instead of having to plan the time you go at...

I've little to be complaining about I know lol but be interesting to see if anyone out there thinks the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought it was a bit weird when we went down there at Xmas time. And weirdly there wasn't many ppl around either.

Thanks
    Reviews

I vaguely remember it was something to do with reforms to workplace laws regarding the hospitality award wages. I can't remember specifics, but it would cost a restaurant owner more to be open (wages etc) than to shut in between lunch and dinner service. Something about protecting workers from doing mega shifts and not being paid properly (I think...I could be really wrong here lol!)
    In the foggy recesses of my mind, I remember when it first came into effect and trying to find somewhere to eat (other than fast food) at about 3 pm on a Sunday was a nightmare!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are loads of places open and serving food between the standard lunch and dinner hours??? Try walking down Franklin St in Manuka or Bunda St in Civic...

Thanks
    Reviews

I lived in Manuka & don't remember seeing anywhere open but thanks I'll keep it in mind.
    Does anyone know off hand names of places we could go to so I don't have to waste time driving around especially with lo.
    Thank you 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In Manuka I'm pretty sure you could get fed at Charlie Blacks, Belucci, Public or that cafe opposite the cinema that's been there forever. Can't remember its name... Cath's or something? Have a look on outincanberra.com.au