Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 160
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,800
    Thanks
    7,291
    Thanked
    9,742
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Fluoride in tap water

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve533 View Post
    When people say that fluoridation is good for teeth because they have good teeth, or someone else without fluoridated water has bad teeth, it's extremely weak evidence. It's equivalent to a smoker saying that smoking isn't bad for health because their health is good, which was a very common sentiment not so long ago. I grew up with fluoridated water, using fluoridated toothpaste, and I have plenty of fillings. That doesn't prove anything either, except that fluoride is at least not completely effective in preventing cavities. Some European countries and Japan stopped fluoridating their water in the 1970s, and dental health in those countries didn't get worse, it rapidly improved.
    My health has been very badly affected by fluoride, so I know what it can do. I was generally very healthy as a child, and it seems to be something which has slowly crept up on me as the fluoride has accumulated in my body. My opinion is not just based on my own experience, though, because I've done quite a lot of research, and read both sides of the argument. The evidence strongly suggests that it is common for excessive fluoride exposure to cause serious adverse health effects in fluoridated areas. Also, fluoridation is of little, if any, benefit in the reduction of dental cavities, and may actually have the opposite effect.
    There are numerous studies demonstrating the safety and efficacy of fluoride, it's not just a matter of good teeth vs bad teeth.

    For anyone interested:

    http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/eh41a

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    940
    Thanks
    425
    Thanked
    297
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    One look at the teeth of British women on "one born every minute" and Im hands down pro-fluoride!
    Ha ha ! I'm British and I do have pretty yellow teeth but zero fillings! My hubby has beautiful teeth but a mouthful of fillings! I guess it's also what genes your blessed with , what you eat ..... But I filter it out as there are enough chemicals about.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    214
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    34
    Reviews
    0

    Default Re: Fluoride in tap water

    I was lucky enough to work for a dentist that had over 40 years experience in the industry. He was schooled in the usa specialising in paedodontics (children's dentistry), worked for the Swedish government as a paedodontist then specialised here in Australia.
    I asked him his advice on how I could make sure my children had good teeth. His biggest piece of advice was to make sure the water we were drinking had fluoride in it! That was it!

    He was a very knowledgeable and honorable man, so that's why I'm pro-fluoride!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    16
    Reviews
    0
    Atropos, the NHMRC report is shameless propaganda. The 2006 US National Research Council report is not perfect, but it's far more comprehensive and credible than the NHMRC report. You wrote "There are numerous studies demonstrating the safety and efficacy of fluoride". Name one study which demonstrates the safety of water fluoridation.
    http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11571
    curlyhead21, the dentist you worked for may have been knowledgeable about other things, but if what you say is true he wasn't knowledgeable about fluoridation. The Swedish government actually banned fluoridation in the 1970s, partly on the advice of Arvid Carlsson, who was later the joint winner of the 2000 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Most dentists in fluoridating countries just go along with what they were taught at dental school, but those who actually look into the issue for themselves reverse their positions. Some prominent former promoters of fluoridation subsequently opposed it, such as John Colquhoun, Hardy Limeback, and Bill Osmunson.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve533 For This Useful Post:

    spoon  (07-03-2013)

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,913
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked
    552
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Fluoride in tap water

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve533 View Post
    Atropos, the NHMRC report is shameless propaganda. The 2006 US National Research Council report is not perfect, but it's far more comprehensive and credible than the NHMRC report. You wrote "There are numerous studies demonstrating the safety and efficacy of fluoride". Name one study which demonstrates the safety of water fluoridation.
    http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11571
    curlyhead21, the dentist you worked for may have been knowledgeable about other things, but if what you say is true he wasn't knowledgeable about fluoridation. The Swedish government actually banned fluoridation in the 1970s, partly on the advice of Arvid Carlsson, who was later the joint winner of the 2000 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Most dentists in fluoridating countries just go along with what they were taught at dental school, but those who actually look into the issue for themselves reverse their positions. Some prominent former promoters of fluoridation subsequently opposed it, such as John Colquhoun, Hardy Limeback, and Bill Osmunson.
    I dont mean for this to come out the wrong way but can I ask what qualifications you have to back up your claims here

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,800
    Thanks
    7,291
    Thanked
    9,742
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Fluoride in tap water

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve533 View Post
    Atropos, the NHMRC report is shameless propaganda. The 2006 US National Research Council report is not perfect, but it's far more comprehensive and credible than the NHMRC report. You wrote "There are numerous studies demonstrating the safety and efficacy of fluoride". Name one study which demonstrates the safety of water fluoridation.
    http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11571
    curlyhead21, the dentist you worked for may have been knowledgeable about other things, but if what you say is true he wasn't knowledgeable about fluoridation. The Swedish government actually banned fluoridation in the 1970s, partly on the advice of Arvid Carlsson, who was later the joint winner of the 2000 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Most dentists in fluoridating countries just go along with what they were taught at dental school, but those who actually look into the issue for themselves reverse their positions. Some prominent former promoters of fluoridation subsequently opposed it, such as John Colquhoun, Hardy Limeback, and Bill Osmunson.
    Ok-
    http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/crd/pdf/summary.pdf

    Now you show some credible evidence to back up your claim that the NHMRC issues propaganda, and why.

  8. #57
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Did you read the other things on their website? These people are nuts, I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt. Have a look at the poor innocent Martin Bryant story


    Quote Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
    I don't know enough about it to have a valid opinion but just found this while reading up about it. I have drank fluoridated water my whole life and have shocking teeth
    http://www.freestatevoice.com.au/hea...on-ineffective
    There are links to studies that show no decrease in adult tooth decay in areas that have it added to the water, compared to ununfluoridated water supplied areas, I'm curious to see what people make of this.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,293
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked
    1,107
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Fluoride in tap water

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    One look at the teeth of British women on "one born every minute" and Im hands down pro-fluoride!
    There's fluoride in British water so that's a non argument. That's a little offensive to British people by the way.

  10. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,064
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,967
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Fluoride in tap water

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    There's fluoride in British water so that's a non argument. That's a little offensive to British people by the way.
    I just found an article dated 22 Feb 2013 saying some people are up in arms about plans to give local authorities more say in introducing flouride in all drinking water in England and Wales... This would suggest there is not flouride in at least a chunk of UK water.. Unless I'm reading the article incorrectly.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ide-plans.html

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,800
    Thanks
    7,291
    Thanked
    9,742
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Fluoride in tap water



 
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. when did u start using fluoride toothpaste?
    By SoThisIsLove in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 10:29
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-03-2012, 07:15
  3. Added Fluoride to water linked to infertility
    By posative in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-01-2012, 14:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT