ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fluoride in tap water

Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    The Brita filter doesn't remove flouride. I *think* only a 'reverse osmosis' filter will do that. Can anyone confirm?
    Yep, brita doesn't remove it.
    For anyone in Adelaide a puratap won't remove it.
    Reverse osmosis does but is expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    against.
    we have an underground spring and every time i go to perth and turn on the tap it stinks of chlorine and other chemicals.

i asked numerous dentists about flouride drops and they all said no. we have a good diet, good nutrition and good dental care in australia. there is no need for it.
    That chlorine smell is actually a ph imbalance (I know my pool ph is off when I can smell chlorine, usually it is odourless). Our local water supply is pretty awful too though, I hate that smell and taste.

When I was a kid we moved to QLD and my mum gave me fluoride tablets, my teeth are pretty terrible anyway (but that is actually a problem caused by my wisdom teeth coming in sideways). I'm not worried about it being in the water supply, its not something I think about or worry about. I would be concerned if they started putting lithium in the water though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Amiedoll, you should be worried about fluoride being in the water supply, because for one thing fluoride is a cumulative toxin, so even if it hasn't had much effect on your health so far it may well do in future. The damage done by fluoride can be permanent.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm for it. I hadn't been to a dentist since I was about 9 years old (I turn 30 this year) and when I went and had my wisdom teeth taken out 12 months ago I had my first ever and only filling.
    No other problems with my teeth and I now get them checked every 12 months and a scale and clean so I'd know about it pretty quickly if there was any change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve533 View Post
    Amiedoll, you should be worried about fluoride being in the water supply, because for one thing fluoride is a cumulative toxin, so even if it hasn't had much effect on your health so far it may well do in future. The damage done by fluoride can be permanent.
    You seem to have quite a bee in your bonnet about fluoride.

Thanks
    Reviews

I only drink tap water to make sure I get the fluoride for my teeth. My nan has (well had) terrible teeth so I've seen what a lack of fluoride can do and it's not pretty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Fluoride in tap water

I think it's an unnecessary toxin being added to our essential water supply.
    Unfortunately chemicals are packed into just about everything these days without any consideration of what long term effects may come from it.

I grew up in QLD where there was no fluoride in water then. I had a few fillings as a kid. I would blame my mother for the amount of sugar in my diet, not the lack of fluoride in the water. I've had one root canal which was a tooth that desperately needed a filling for years which my mother refused to pay for so i had to wait until i was an adult with my own money. So had i have had a less sugar laden diet growing up chances are i probably wouldn't have need those fillings at all- fluoride in the water or not.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Steve533  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Fluoride in tap water

For

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    When people say that fluoridation is good for teeth because they have good teeth, or someone else without fluoridated water has bad teeth, it's extremely weak evidence. It's equivalent to a smoker saying that smoking isn't bad for health because their health is good, which was a very common sentiment not so long ago. I grew up with fluoridated water, using fluoridated toothpaste, and I have plenty of fillings. That doesn't prove anything either, except that fluoride is at least not completely effective in preventing cavities. Some European countries and Japan stopped fluoridating their water in the 1970s, and dental health in those countries didn't get worse, it rapidly improved.
    My health has been very badly affected by fluoride, so I know what it can do. I was generally very healthy as a child, and it seems to be something which has slowly crept up on me as the fluoride has accumulated in my body. My opinion is not just based on my own experience, though, because I've done quite a lot of research, and read both sides of the argument. The evidence strongly suggests that it is common for excessive fluoride exposure to cause serious adverse health effects in fluoridated areas. Also, fluoridation is of little, if any, benefit in the reduction of dental cavities, and may actually have the opposite effect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Against

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast