Closed Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok Steve, so you're saying that fluoride in water has no impact on dental caries, but is responsible for the 400% increase in dementia seen in ROI as compared to NI??? That's just a bizarre statement.

I couldn't be a***d reading the document by Declan whatsit, but did he consider confounders when assuming this "causal relationship"? ROI and NI, and the rest of Europe, have completely different health systems and lifestyles eg. rates of smoking, drinking, excercise, diet. All of these will have an impact on rates of disease. To say that fluoridated water is the cause of these high rates of disease is ridiculous.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hollychops For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well said hollychops, you cannot blame fluoride for all those things without looking at other things going on in the country. Ireland has one of the highest rate of binge drinking in the world, australia isn't much better.

You cannot say it is all down to fluoride. There are many things that cause all those symptoms and illnesses that you listed. To say you are blinkered with regards to fluoride is an understatement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in the dental industry.
    The pros of fluoridation greatly outweigh the cons.

You only have one set of adult teeth, to last you a lifetime.

I could go on a rant about the sights I've seen throughout my career, but I'd probably offend every anti-fluoride person here!

I just wanted to get my vote in

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alexis243 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-03-2013)

Pegasus is offline and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    pegasus, your idea that "all the danger of chemicals on our bodies is dependent upon the concentrations" is incorrect. The doses are often more important than concentrations, and dose and concentration are definitely not the same thing. The scientific literature on fluoride ingestion emphasises the importance of total dose. Even if concentrations of fluoride in fluoridated water were tightly controlled, which they aren't, the doses people receive would be uncontrolled. People drink highly varied amounts of water and other drinks made up with water, eat different amounts of processed food, and so on. A double-blind trial found that 1% of children suffer symptoms from just 1 mg of fluoride, which is a small dose. Other double-blind trials have also confirmed fluoride sensitivity at doses to which people in fluoridated communities are routinely exposed, affecting up to 5% of the population. A daily dose as low as 2 mg can depress thyroid function. People have been found to suffer from skeletal fluorosis with a concentration of fluoride in their drinking water of only 0.5 ppm. The fluoride concentration of breast milk is extremely low in comparison to fluoridated water, and feeding babies formula made up with fluoridated water is not safe.
    You're right Steve, concentration and dose are not the same thing. Dose determines concentration, but concentration is dependent upon other things as well (like how big the person is that's ingesting the chemical). When I've talked about concentration of chemicals, I'm not talking about the concentration in the water I'm drinking (for instance) as this determines the dose that I intake into my body which, in turn determines the concentration of that chemical in my body.

This is where rather than asking me to clarify, you misinterpreted what I was saying.

I don't even know why I'm stating this, as I still stand by the fact that the concentration of any chemical in someone's body is what determines the toxicity level. Eg. Someone who is 6foot ingests a carton of beer over two nights will have a lower concentration than someone who is 5 foot (without taking into consideration the body masses of the people) who ingests the same carton of beer over the same time period.

I've just reread over your post, and still can't work out why you replied with all that you did, and did not reference to the latest link I put in regarding the South Australian study where fluoride was found to have a link in decreased caries in adults as well as children.

Instead you seem to have picked other words out of posts which has no link to what the poster meant (I'll use your reference to what I said as an example).

In the case that the concentration of a chemical in your body determines the toxicity of that chemical to the individual - I stand by what I said.

The concentration of fluoride in the water was not what I was speaking about when I wrote that statement, so anything you wrote about following that, is not a relevant response.

By the way, I drink probably about 4L of Perth tap water a day, my body mass is approximately 50kg and therefore I ingest about 3.2mg per day (and have done so over about 20 years) (plus ingested about half of that for the 10 years preceding, and about half again for the 10 years preceding that).

Maybe I do need a thyroid check, (because according to the levels you're talking about, I've been ingesting extremely high levels of fluoride for many years) - I've never had one. However, I've gone over the possible symptoms list, and can't come up with any relevant to me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegasus For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm starting to think Steve is trying some good ol' scare mongering with huge amounts of unfounded propaganda......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post
    I'm starting to think Steve is trying some good ol' scare mongering with huge amounts of unfounded propaganda......
    I think Steve is on the other side of the screen laughing about the commotion he has created with the crap he has posted.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I think Steve is on the other side of the screen laughing about the commotion he has created with the crap he has posted.
    I think he's probably googling more conspiracy theory crap

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hollychops For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think he's crafting a hat out of tinfoil

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (07-03-2013),lambjam  (07-03-2013),Mod-DJ Nette  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think he's crafting a hat out of tinfoil
    Tee hee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What's up Steve? C'mon, don't be afraid of a bunch of hormonal, sleep deprived parents - what else have you got for us?