+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think if you really liked the person you would make the effort. It's only sitting down for a couple of hours, it's not strenuous ....lots of nice food too!

But if you can't be bothered just say you can't make it and send a nice gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not up to other people how YOU feel about going out at any stage of pregnancy... after all, you're growing another human, which can make any woman nauseous, tired, & grumpy on a good day not to mention those who actually have to suffer through HG and such.
    Personally, I tend to decline social invites in the first trimester as I get wiped by a combo of MS & extreme tired. Pooey to precious - my body tells me what it needs, and I listen.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (19-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (19-11-2012),WineTime  (19-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I would just decline, you don't need a reason.

And to the 'i don't understand why you can't do things when you're pregnant' brigade, congratulations, would you like a medal for your relatively easy pregnancy?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Great post.

I find it pretty insulting when people make comments like those in this thread about people being "precious" by not wanting to do things.

I had a horrible pregnancy, by about 34 weeks I didn't want to move, I struggled even doing simple things like grocery shopping. Some people don't find pregnancy as easy as others... doesn't make them precious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (19-11-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Declining Baby Shower Invite?

Yep, going to Kmart for 20 minutes yesterday wiped me out for the rest of the day. Attending my own baby shower left me in agony for the rest of the weekend from sitting on an uncomfortable chair. It's depressing and frustrating enough to not feel well enough to do the things you want and need to do let alone 'suck it up' and attend someone else's baby shower.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    For what it's worth, I was simply answering the OP's question

Is it ok to decline an invite because you'll be heavily pregnant?
    No mention of hypermesis or anything, just a GD test. In her shoes, I'd personally go. Does that mean I think someone with hypermesis or whatnot should go? No.

I honestly think she simply doesn't want to go - and that is absolutely fine! I believe if she doesn't want to, thanks but no thanks will suffice

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    For what it's worth, I was simply answering the OP's question

No mention of hypermesis or anything, just a GD test. In her shoes, I'd personally go. Does that mean I think someone with hypermesis or whatnot should go? No.

I honestly think she simply doesn't want to go - and that is absolutely fine! I believe if she doesn't want to, thanks but no thanks will suffice
    That's fair but i guess for first time mums you might just assume everybody else finds the third trimester as hard as you do so 'heavily pregnant' would definitely seem reason enough not to go, and vice versa someone who found it easy may assume everyone else finds it that easy. But it makes me cranky anyway. Because I am pregnant... And very cranky

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Declining Baby Shower Invite?

I wouldn't go because sitting in the wrong chair, standing etc just destroys my pelvis. I am really hard put maintaining all the stuff required of me anyway without adding on extra. (I am 36 weeks). Frankly I am not one for attending social functions out of obligation anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    That's fair but i guess for first time mums you might just assume everybody else finds the third trimester as hard as you do so 'heavily pregnant' would definitely seem reason enough not to go, and vice versa someone who found it easy may assume everyone else finds it that easy. But it makes me cranky anyway. Because I am pregnant... And very cranky
    Absolutely - I just think saying to a pregnant woman you can't attend her baby shower because I'm pregnant wouldn't really cut it iykwim lol. She doesn't want to go (and I can't say I blame her), I really think saying "I can't go, I'm pregnant" is a bit lame and she could just as easily say she's not feeling well or has something else on.

Nothing wrong at all with not wanting to go. Nothing wrong with wanting to sit at home in pyjamas. I'd rather do that than play lame baby games and listen to women sitting around going "awwwwww" at a million tiny jumpsuits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Great post.

I find it pretty insulting when people make comments like those in this thread about people being "precious" by not wanting to do things.

I had a horrible pregnancy, by about 34 weeks I didn't want to move, I struggled even doing simple things like grocery shopping. Some people don't find pregnancy as easy as others... doesn't make them precious.
    I would probably go, because I hate to say no when someone has gone to the effort to invite me.

And just to touch on the above, I have suffered from severe hypremesis in my pregnancies, as well as sciatica and I also have a ruptured ligament in my knee giving me hell already at 10 weeks. So I have far from easy pregnancies. But I would still provably make an effort to go.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, people are being abit precious about being called precious.